Chapter 4

Decked in an emerald green dress with a velvet border, Lily Peyton or rather Mrs. Sheffield, waited with her purse while her much older, yet handsome husband carried out their luggage from the taxi.

They had reached their lodgings, a small house with a hall and kitchen and two rooms upstairs. To anyone else, they would look like a posh couple down on their luck but still unable to part with their life of extravagance. The woman's dress was expensive but faded and the man's three piece suit showed signs of shabbiness.

Carrying their bags inside, since Lily was a woman after all, Edward sprawled out on the sofa, exhausted.

'You carry the bags upstairs.' He pointed from the sofa.

'Of course, my dear husband.' She replied sweetly, 'And get your arse in the kitchen, I am starving.'

She placed the bags in their respective rooms. Opening her suitcase, she looked for the shirts she had surreptitiously put inside while Jessie had searched for old dresses in her closet. She would die if she spent her entire day in dresses. They made your thighs chafe, and the constant threat of a wayward wind loomed around. Apart from the that, there was a proper way of sitting when you wore a dress. And then there was the goddamned pantyhose. Why would a woman wear stockings which matched the colour of her skin? What was the point?

Still, she was glad to have her shirts with her. But first she needed a bath.

10 minutes later, she put on her checked shirt and realised though it was comfortable, she couldn't be living with a man and wear something so revealing. Even if the man was Edward.

Sighing, she put on a plain long skirt and hurried downstairs.

'Dinner is almost ready. Can you take up while I freshen up?'

'Yeah, sure. Go on.'

She watched over the food and when it was ready, carried it to their table and set up plates.

So this is how life was to be for the next month. Wearing pretty dresses and having dinner. It was almost as if Gerard was making her live a life she had vehemently denied.

'The food smells delicious. I hope it is enough for us.'

'We'll manage.'

After they were done, Lily brought out a bottle of whisky.

'I hope this place has a pub. Because this is the only bottle I brought.'

'there are many here. I have a map of this place.'

'let's start then. We have an antique to steal.'

'So, Elizabeth or Polly Gray lives here, in Watery Lane' he circled a square on the map.

'She is the treasurer of the Peaky Blinders. Professionally known as the Shelby Company now.'

'Wait, Peaky Blinders?'

'Yes, didn't you know?'

The remembered something Gerard had been trying to say when she had cut him off. Like always. And now she had to pay.

Her silence was enough to answer his question.

'Come on, Lily. Not again. At least hear him out when he speaks.'

'Continue please.'

He shook his head in disbelief and said, 'The Peaky Blinders own lots of businesses in this town. Our plan is to get on friendly terms with the family, so they'll let us be near the antique.'