After The Night

Lily woke up with a throbbing headache in the morning. She looked at the sheets around her and remembered the events of last night. She had slept with Tommy and had liked it. Surprising how two people who hated each other could have so much fun in bed, she thought as she went to the lavatory to wash herself. It was quite early, so Tommy mustn't have left long ago. Shrugging on the man's shirt she kept on the hook, she padded downstairs to make herself some tea, because whisky wasn't the answer today.

She was tying her hair in a loose bun when the sight before her made her stop.

Tommy Shelby was reclining on her sofa, naked except for a pair of trousers from last night.

'Morning, Lily.' He said without looking at her.

'Why are you still here?'

His eyes widened imperceptibly at her question but he didn't answer. Instead, he got up in sitting position and slid is gaze along her body, pausing at her bare legs.

'Whose clothes are those?'

'Mine.' She said, crossing her arms across her chest before dropping them. The shirt was faded and almost see-through, which did nothing to quell the fact she was naked underneath.

'You wore this when Edward was around?'

He walked towards her, stopping when he was inches away from her. Lily felt her insides tighten and steeled herself to reply in articulate voice.

'No.' Before he continued with his questions, she said, 'Would you like some tea?'

Tommy heard himself echo the words from two years ago, 'Yes, I would like some tea.'

'I'll go and make it.' She walked in the kitchen, hoping he wouldn't come there, only to have him follow her.

'I wanted to talk to you about something.'

A million thoughts popped in her head and none of them pleasing. Pouring hot water in the cups, she said, 'What about?'

'Last night, I-' His expression was enough to make her understand his worries. Still, she was enjoying his uncomfortable stance.

'Was wonderful, Tommy.' Giving him a tender smile, she put her hand on his.

His face was blank save for the slight distress.

She chuckled softly, 'Don't worry Tommy. It was a one-time thing.' She said as casually as possible.

There was an almost unnoticeable relief in his face. And Lily couldn't help but feel slightly crestfallen.

'Here, your tea.' She passed him a cup and he picked it to take a sip.

Making a face, he said. 'It tastes like mud.'

'Yes but it is a great cure for headache. Reminds me to control my alcohol.'

'About that. What happened last night?' He leaned against the counter and crossed his arms.

'The whisky was too good.' She replied sheepishly, trying not to stare at the prominent bulge of biceps. Or the tattoo on his chest. And on his bicep.

'Uh huh.' He looked at her as if he didn't believe her.

'And I was missing home.' She added for good measure. Under no circumstances was she telling him that he was the reason why she'd drank like a fish.

'You said you didn't have a home.'

'When?'

'Last night.'

She wondered what else she had revealed to him last night, 'I have a home alright. I just don't have people.'