chapter 47

After supper, Lily took Charlie in her room, ostensibly to show him the toys she'd brought from London, so Tommy could talk to Oliver. She was extremely apprehensive about how it would end and after Oliver they'd have to explain it to Charlie too. It couldn't get more complicated. If only Oliver wasn't so keen on knowing his father, she thought as she pulled out the box of toys. While she was feeding him, he'd asked about Faraway Land again, making Charlie inquisitive about the place too. She had diverted him by showing him the toy trains and horses and hoped everything went well in the other room.

Oliver's Mum had asked him to sit quietly in a room so they could surprise Charlie with the toys. He was playing with his toy horse when Charlie's father walked towards him.

'What are you doing, boy?'

He didn't respond and shifted away as Tommy walked closer. He was a little wary of Charlie's father who had made his Mum cry.

'You're playing with toys?' Tommy asked and sat next to him.

'My t-t-toys.' He pulled them closer so Tommy couldn't take it.

Feeling slightly on edge in front of his own son, he asked, 'Do you like horses, Oliver?'

He looked up and nodded, slightly interested.

'I'll show you the horses at our home. Would you like to see?'

He nodded again, but didn't shy away from informing Tommy about his own riches, 'Mum w-w-will buy me a h-horse on m-my birthday.'

'That's good. Do you want another?'

'I h-h-have to dr-dr-drink milk to g-g-get a horse.'

'Yes. That's good.' He repeated, unable to find the right words and slightly unsettled by his stammer. He didn't blame his toddler son for his flaw but it nagged him that he couldn't fix it.

'I d-d-don't like m-m-milk.'

He relaxed a little and smiled, 'It's alright. I don't like it either.'

'Y-y-your Mum d-doesn't scold you?'

'My Mum is not with me.'

'Do y-you miss her?'

'I do.'

'Is she in F-f-faraway Land?'

He considered his son's question for a moment and said, 'Yes. She is.'

'My D-d-daddy is in F-f-faraway Land, too. I miss h-him too.' He said sadly.

He knew he had told Lily he'd wait for a few days but after hearing Oliver's dejected words, he couldn't stop.

'He is not there.'

'Wh-where is he?' He said, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

'I am your Daddy.'

Tommy had expected him to get silent or hug him right away. But he hadn't thought he would burst into tears.

'No, y-y-you are not. Y-y-you made Mum c-c-cry.'

'I am sorry for that.' Tommy said futilely because his wails only increased.

'Uncle P-P-Paul said he'll c-c-clean your f-f-'

'Oliver! What did I tell you about that word?' Lily shouted at the moment. Alerted by the cries of Oliver she had hurried to make sure everything was alright. But the scene before her showed her it couldn't get worse.

He cried louder, 'I d-d-didn't tell it, M-M-Mum.'

'Don't shout, Lily.'

She walked towards him and hugged him closer until he stopped crying, 'Go play with Charlie, sweetie. He's all alone.' She gently wiped his cheeks and he tottered away.