Chapter 51

The fight is tomorrow.’ Tommy declared on the breakfast table early morning.

Lily gasped loudly, as if the coppers were on their way to arrest her company of thieves, ‘Tomorrow? But I don’t have a dress.’

‘Wear this. It’s not a big event.’ He said as he gestured at her cotton housedress which buttoned up to her neck, a dress Lily particularly disliked but had worn since she was running out of clothes. And also because her nightgown was definitely out of question.

‘Very funny. I know everybody is dressing up.’

‘I’m not.’ He said as he got up from the table.

‘You want a dress? I don’t think you’d be able to fit in it.’ she said, looking at his waist pointedly.

‘It’s a good thing that you’re my son’s mother or I would’ve long cut your tongue off.’

‘You still do that? I thought you were all for the modern way.’ She said with a look of mock confusion on her face.

‘I’m already exhausted.’

‘You’re getting old, Tommy.’ She said sympathetically.

‘All right, I’m done.’ He closed the space between them and kissed her unsuspecting mouth.

She pulled away from him, all out of air, ‘What are you doing?’

‘It’s the only way you’ll keep quiet.’ He said blankly and continued.

‘Stop! The boys will see us.’ She giggled as he pulled her by his arms.

‘I’m only kissing their mother.’

She stiffened at his words but he didn’t stop, putting his hands on her face. When she didn’t respond, he pulled back to look at her.

‘What’s wrong?’

She shook her head and tucked her hair behind her ears, ‘Nothing. You’re late for work.’

‘Still mad about that night?’

‘Your tie is all askew.’ She dodged his question and reached for his tie.

‘It never is.’

‘Well, there’s always a first time.’ She boasted and straightened the knot.

‘What are we doing, Lily?’

She knew he didn’t want her to state the obvious and she busied herself with his perfect tie, ‘Shouldn’t I ask you that?’

‘I think we’re ignoring the truth.’

‘Which is?’

‘We have been living like spouses. Let’s make it official.’

She stopped and looked up, completely unprepared for that, ‘Are you proposing marriage?’

He cleared his throat, as if preparing himself for his next words, ‘Yes.’

‘I don’t think I made myself clear last time. You know I wouldn’t-’

‘Who are you lying to? I know you love me.’

‘Do I? What should I do to make you believe otherwise?’ She asked, her anger rising by the second. He was stating it like it was an item on list of things for a family meeting.

‘There’s no need to argue.’ He said calmly and she wanted to drive the knife straight in his stomach.

‘Tommy, I don’t love you.’ She said slowly, so he wouldn’t miss any word.