Chapter 23

'Alexander, will you take care of Oliver? I am going to London.' Lily called from outside his locked room. And heard his sudden voice, filled with anger,

'Have you fucking lost your mind?'

'We'll be off the hook sooner if I agree to Tommy's every whim. And don't curse.' She admonished.

'Do whatever justifies your love, who am I to care?' He said caustically.

Lily sighed in dejection, 'I apologise now and I'll apologise for that everyday. Just let me be done with this.'

'Fine then, go.' He barked.

'Take care of yourself and Oliver.'

She was walking away when she heard a low 'Be safe, Lily.'

Lily's visit to London was uneventful at best. It was extremely easy to get her hands on the map of the mansion. She had informed James about the task at hand in their cryptic language just after her talk with Alexander. Her former colleague had sent their newest member at a local pub with the information and Lily was to meet him there. There, Colin, the newest member was bursting to give her two more maps he had gotten his hands on, but she had politely turned down his offer. No need to carry more burden than necessary.

Since she couldn't leave at the late hour and going to the Guild was out of question with the Shelby driver escorting her everywhere, she decided to spent the night in the Ritz. Tommy Shelby was paying for it after all.

When she had settled in the lavish room and devoured a fancy meal, she sprawled across the feathery bed and looked up at the golden ceiling.

One week ago, she was weeding the soil for the next crop and today she was in a luxury hotel. Life has it ways. Thinking about Oliver, she reached for the telephone and gave her new number to the operator.

'Hello?'

'Alexander? How are you? Is Oliver all right?'

'He was crying after you left. But I fed him and he quieted down. He is sleeping now. Must be tired.'

'I know. You had dinner?' She asked, her mind still on Oliver.

'Yeah, I did. Listen Lily, don't dwell on what I told you before. It meant nothing.'

Lily wrapped her finger on the cord. 'Alex, you are my dearest friend in this world. But I don't want you to wait for me. You are young, and you have an entire life ahead of you. Don't waste it on a woman with a child.'

'Forget I said anything, all right? And enjoy your stay. Oliver is in safe hands.'

'Don't give him sweets.'

'Good night, latria mou.'

Lily smiled at the nickname. So he had forgiven her.

'Good night, Alexander.'

She hung up, feeling slightly guilty for taking Alexander's help when it was obvious he wanted something more, something impossible. But he didn't love her.

She wanted to shake him and tell him it wasn't love, it was sympathy for an unwed mother. But she had no right to mock someone's feelings. Someone so dear to her. He knew little, but still enough about her past and had supported her during her pregnancy as well as after Oliver's birth. If she had seen the same look in his eyes that she had seen in Tommy's eyes for Grace that night, she might have agreed, even though she didn't love him. But she hadn't left one man to be with another who didn't love her. She deserved better.

But she did think about Alexander's words. Did she still love Tommy? If not, then why had she agreed to help him?

She shook her head a little.