Chapter 41

Oliver and Charlie woke up sometime after Lily came back from the meeting, both of them unfamiliar with the change of surroundings. While Oliver was taking in the new place with interest, Charlie, unsurprisingly, didn't remember her or Oliver and looked at them wide-eyed. Anticipating tears, Lily began cajoling him.

'Charlie, it's me, Lily. And Oliver, you used to play with him.'

But he didn't cry, rather asked in his polished voice, 'You're my new nanny?'

She looked on, slightly stunned, 'Yeah. You can say that. Would you like to play with Oliver?'

He looked at Oliver, who was reaching for the glass on the table and decided, 'Yes, I would.'

'M-m-mum, I wanna play. '

Charlie looked at Oliver in wonder, probably unused to hearing someone stutter.

'Very well, boys. Go in that room.' She said as she took them in Tommy's room and gave them some toys to play with.

Thankfully, they didn't bicker and Lily went in her room. The day went by and she busied herself with making food for the boys. After they were fed and back to playing, she began unpacking, when there was a knock on the door.

'Who is it?' She yelled from inside.

'Mr. Shelby sent me, to keep you safe.'

She looked at the boys, playing with the toys on the floor of the room.

'You both play, I'll get the door.' She warned the boys and locked the door behind her for good measure. Opening the drawer where Tommy had left the gun, she picked it up with trepidation. It was probably a blinder, but she wasn't taking any risks. She made her way towards the door and slowly opened it, only to jerk backwards and fall when someone pushed in forcefully. The gun slipped from her hand and a man in a suit came in.

Landing on her hip, she reached for the gun on the floor, only for the man to keep his foot on her hand.

'Mrs. Shelby, don't try to be clever.' The man's Italian accent became prominent as he pointed the gun at her head.

With all her strength, she raised her leg and hit him between his legs. As he bent to groan, in a split second she grabbed her gun and shot him in the stomach. He pointed the gun at her again and she shot him, this time in the chest. She rolled away before his bloody body could fall on her, panting from the blood rush. And pulled the trigger at the back of his head.

'Fucking hell.' She muttered as she looked at the body on the floor and the blood on her. The entire family was at the funeral and still the Changrettas had come here. And she couldn't even call anyone. She was all alone with a body while two little boys played inside. Looking at the blood on her dress, she felt nauseated and wanting to cut it off her.

She was not going stay here for a moment more. Tommy could fuck off with his threats and warnings. The moment he came back, she was telling him about her plans.

But first she needed to move the body, the children couldn't see that. The man seemed close to seventy kilograms and even if she moved him, where would she keep the body? She looked at the carpet on which he was sprawled. That would have to do for now.

***

Tommy had just finished his conversation with Aberama Gold and his welterweight son when a resident of Watery Lane come running towards him.

'What's the matter, Bill?'

'My wife heard shots in your house.'

Every hair on his body rose as he picked up his pace.