Chapter 15

In the solitude of her room, the actions of the night came crashing down. She had slept with Thomas. Twice. Told him she was a thief. And possibly muttered away secrets in the haze of alcohol. This job with the Shelbys might be the end of her, after all. She wouldn't be surprised if Gerard handed her a letter of termination when she went back to London. Thomas Shelby knew too much about her. And he'd seen her naked. Always a lethal concoction.

What do I do now? She thought as she nibbled on her thumbnail. And Gerard was the first person (and the only) who came to her mind.

The conversation was going to be long enough so she walked out to the telephone booth. Saving the dime was not on her mind now.

'Who is it?'

'It's me. Lily.'

'What's wrong, kid?"

'I fucked up.'

There was an expulsion of breath. 'You slept with him.' he said with slight reproach.

'Yeah. And I told him some things.'

His voice grew frantic, 'What things?'

'About me running away at fifteen. And that I am a thief.'

'He knew about that.'

'No, he speculated it. Now he knows it, which means he has evidence now.'

'I am worried more about the other thing.'

'The other thing? We just had sex.'

'And? He's a target.'

'His aunt is the target. He is in the side-lines.'

'Just don't do that again.' He said, sounding a little uncomfortable.

'Fuck him?' She said, just to spite him.

'God's sake Lily. Stop. And focus on the job. You're not there on a holiday.'

'I know. That's the reason I called.'

'What happened?'

'I am too distracted. This is the longest I've spent in a place without getting something.'

There was silence on the other side.

'Hello? Gerard, are you there?'

He cleared his thought a little, 'Yeah, I am. Just do it quickly and avoid that Shelby.'

And hung up without preamble.

After the call, Lily went back to her lodgings to get dressed. She chose a simple rose pink dress which reached just below her knees and had a shallow V-neckline. The color brought out the rose of her cheeks and she admitted she looked quite fetching.

Probably a reminder of what great sex could do. Stop now, Lily.

Since she hadn't met Polly yesterday, she reversed her car out of its parking spot and went to her house. The plan was to give her a gift and have some tea. And find out the exact place where she kept her figurine.

She climbed out of her car and smoothed her skirt in its place. She knocked on the door but found it unlocked. Still, she waited for her to open the door.

'Who is it?' her voice sounded irritant.

'It's me, Lily.'

'Come on in, then.' Did she here annoyance in her voice?

'Hello, Polly. I am sorry I didn't talk to you yesterday, the whisky had gone over my head. Oh, you have company.'

Seated at the table were Polly and a young boy in a checked brown suit. Before she could say anything else, distant voice of Arthur boomed outside.