Chapter 49

‘I d-d-don’t wanna drink th-th-this.’ Oliver said on a Saturday morning after Lily had chided him for not even picking up his glass of milk

‘Why, Oliver?’ Lily asked calmly.

‘D-d-dad doesn’t like milk.’

Lily looked at Tommy in resentment, who didn’t look up from the papers he was arranging. She cleared her throat loudly to catch his attention but he continued to ignore her.

Her frustrated, ‘Tommy-’ was cut midway when he said, without looking up,

‘If you don’t drink milk, you’ll have to wear these.’

He turned to look at Oliver and pointed at his glasses, and he nodded, not from the fear of getting himself a pair of glasses but from the hold of Tommy’s light blue eyes.

‘You’ve the prize-giving at the institute today?’ 

He paused at her question, then gave a distracted, ‘Yeah.’ 

‘Can you bring the boys on your way back? I was thinking of buying some food supplies.’

‘Why don’t you take the day off today? Stay with the kids.’ He said as he put on his overcoat over his grey corduroy suit. While Lily didn’t mind being with the kids, Tommy’s behaviour seemed different today. He looked deep in contemplation, and Lily couldn’t fathom why he was being so…odd.

‘Why?’ She asked finally, putting down the knife in her hand.

‘I would like if you didn’t question me.’

She was reminded of another time by his cold words. Walking closer to him so Oliver didn't hear them, she said, ‘Is everything alright?’

He looked at her for a second, as if trying to decide if she was trustworthy. But she seemingly failed his test because he said lightly, ‘It is. Do you want me to get something?’

‘No, it isn’t important.’ She said distractedly, her eyes uncertain. 

‘I'll leave then.' He moved to go, gently ruffling Oliver's hair.

‘Be careful.’ She said softly but he heard her alright. And turned to kiss her worried face before going out of the door, leaving her terrified.

****

Tommy’s heart beat frantically as he drove away from Artillery Square. Luca Changretta had gotten away but he wasn’t returning empty handed either. He had singlehandedly killed three men and would’ve killed Luca too if the coppers hadn’t intervened. He might’ve been dead himself but he didn’t dwell on that. Right now, he wanted to reach home as soon as possible. And he wondered if Lily would shoot him the moment he walked in. He had asked Polly to tell her about their plan, so if things went wrong, she would know what to do. Charlie was attached to her and Tommy had wanted her to look after him, if he didn’t come back. But things had worked out for now. And she probably would not blow the situation out of proportion. He had been a cold bastard to her in the morning when she was asking about his troubles. Looking into her worried eyes, he had almost decided to tell her the truth but he had stopped himself. Fewer the people who knew about it, the better. 

He entered the house to find Lily sitting directly in front of him with her hands on her head. Polly was sitting beside her, looking stoic and awaiting his arrival.

‘He’s back.’ Polly told Lily in a quiet voice as she took in his appearance.

Lily looked towards the door and got up hastily, ‘Tommy!’

She hurried towards him and jumped in his arms, her arms around his neck. Tommy stiffened at the sudden warm feel of her against him, shocked to his core at her reaction. But he regained his composure soon enough to embrace her slim waist and kiss her shoulder. He closed his eyes to remind him that was no longer in the Square, with a possible assailant at every step. Rather he was in his home with a gorgeous woman in his arms.