Chapter 29

That night, Lily found it difficult to sleep with Tommy in the same house. She kept turning restlessly, unable to quell the unease. When all failed, she decided to take a walk around. Just like she did before Tommy came back. He was probably sleeping under medication, so she wouldn’t have to worry about running into him.

She padded downstairs in white housedress, careful not to make any unwanted sound. She was on the last step when her ankle twisted and she fell clumsily on her hip.

‘Bloody hell.’ She muttered as she rubbed her behind and began to get up. Only to hear footsteps coming in her direction.

‘Lily.’ 

‘Tommy? Why are you still awake?'

‘Couldn’t sleep.’ He replied and exhaled shortly.

‘Didn’t you take your morphine?’ She almost sounded like a mother, she realised belatedly.

‘It’s better if I don’t.’

No need to ask the reason why, she thought as she surreptitiously rubbed her hip. But nothing escaped Tommy, even when he was in excruciating pain. Gesturing towards her behind, he said, ‘You will probably have a bruise tomorrow. Do you want a drink?’

‘You aren’t supposed to drink.’

‘I asked you.’

‘Why not?' She said, finally. A drink wouldn't hurt, considering the ongoing distress.

Lily sat behind the table as Tommy turned to open a bottle of whisky and tried to ignore the way the undershirt clung to his body. Or the flex of his muscles.

As he poured the drink into a glass, thankfully oblivious to her imagining, he asked, ‘When did you leave for Greece?’

‘I had bought some land there in 1920. When I found I was expecting Oliver, I decided to shift there. Thank you.’ She said as he gave her the glass and sat down across her.

‘And your associate?’

‘His family used to look after the farm. I realised he was out of job and offered him one there.’

‘You both seem close.’ He remarked as he leaned back in his chair.

She took a sip from the glass and said, ‘He was the only one who was of my age and spoke English. It was either him or the animals.’

‘Did you fuck him?’ He asked as if it were an ordinary question.

Lily’s jaw hardened at his brusque tone, but she said, ‘No. He is just a very dear friend.’

‘But he wants more.’ 

‘He’s deluded.’ She said as she took another sip of the burning liquid.

‘I take it you haven’t been with anyone since-‘

‘Since?’ She asked politely, even though she wanted to hit him.

‘Since you and I-’

‘Well, there was Oliver’s father, but-‘

He reached for her wrists and held them with unyielding force. ‘Don’t say that.’

‘Say what, Tommy?’ She asked as she looked into his icy blue orbs, which were burning with fury.

I am his father. You get it?’ He stated, emphasising each word.

She tried to keep herself from blowing up and said harshly, ‘You are the man who impregnated me. That’s it.’

‘I didn’t know you were expecting,’ he said, fervently wishing for a cigarette. Or whisky. Or a gun.

She laughed humorlessly.

‘Did you even care? After that night, you barely saw me. You were mostly at May’s. And then with Grace.’

She knew she had hit a weak spot and his grip on her loosened.

‘Why didn’t you fucking tell me?’ Tommy buried his face in his hands.

She got up and walked to where he was sitting.

Putting her hand on his head, she said, ‘Because I could live without your love but couldn’t let the same thing happen to my child.’   

Tommy abruptly turned and  hugged her waist tightly, reminiscent of a night almost three years ago in Small Heath. Some moments later, he let go of her. Only to pull her down on his lap. He ran his fingers in her long hair, then pulled her head down to lightly touch her lips.

Lily hesitated for a moment, then muttering ‘Fuck it,’ moved so she was straddling him on the chair.

She looked down at him and kissed his lips gently. He kissed her back harder and pulled her closer. His tongue probed in and her lips parted in surprise, letting him in. She put her hands on his face, deepening the kiss. His hand, which was resting on her exposed thigh, inched upwards and she ground her hips in response. 

A crying noise interrupted them. Lily hastily disentangled herself and smoothed down her dress. What the hell was she doing?

Tommy got up too and they both climbed the stairs to the nursery. A maid was patting Charlie to put him back to sleep but to no avail.

‘May I?’

She took the crying Charlie from the maid and rubbed his back as she hummed softly, avoiding Tommy's gaze.

‘Mama.’

Lily felt her throat tighten at his painful wail. He had done that many times when she put him back to sleep at night. But tonight, with Tommy in the room, it was heart breaking.

‘Shh, baby. It’s all right.’

She rocked him slowly until his cries quieted down and she felt his head on her shoulder. Carefully placing him in the crib, she put a blanket on him.

She looked up to find Tommy was no longer in the room.