Chapter 6

'What do you think of him?' Edward broke the silence as they drove back to their lodgings.

'Cold, calculative and surprisingly good-looking.' She replied in a monotone.

Edward chuckled at her description.

But Lily's mind stayed on the brief meeting she'd had with Thomas Shelby. His eyes had caught her attention before the strong jaw, the bladed cheekbones. They were the lightest colour of blue she'd ever seen, almost like ice. And he might as well be the coldest man she'd ever met. His gaze held no lechery when he had taken her in at the bar. Instead it was mostly focused on her eyes.

You must beware of a man who looks straight into your eyes. For he wants something you don't want to give.

Gerard had told her that one night after they'd both downed substantial amount of whisky to forget their position. And they had become what they were 12 years ago. A man who had lost his family and a girl who never had a family. Both were incapable of love, and perhaps that's how they saved each other. By becoming each other's comrades.

She had drunkenly replied by saying 'Like you, old man?'

He had given a short laugh and said, 'Like me. I want to love you because you're the closest thing to a family I have. But I can't because you don't want to.'

And they had quieted down for a while. Then suddenly burst out laughing. As if erasing the sad words with made up happiness.

Another detail about him had caught her attention and she asked Edward.

'What was the horrible cut on his cheek?'

'I don't know it well, but they say he was attacked by his rivals one night and they sliced his cheek.'

'God.' She whispered in distress.

'Told you how brutal they were.'

'Then why do they this kind of job?'

'They are trying to turn their business legal. Racecourses, automobiles and other stuff.'

They were silent again for a while, when she asked

'Is there any update on the figurine? Did you find it somewhere?'

Edward sighed wearily. She had asked the question ever since he had started his job. And the answer remained the same.

'It's not anywhere in the office. Polly must have hidden in somewhere.'

Lily suppressed her sigh. She had ignored the lack of progress for the past week because she herself was adjusting to her role. But Edward had been in the same place as the antique for too long. Didn't his fingers itch to take it away?

She wondered if he had taken a liking to the mundane life. Working for fixed hours, having someone cook for him, drinking out with friends. She knew he was in the Guild out of helplessness. But was he seriously considering leaving it?

'Do you think about life away from the Guild?' she asked finally.

'Everyday. And being here intensified the feeling.' He said truthfully, as if he knew what she was thinking.

'I get it Edward. You are the only sane one among us. And you have a family, after all.'

He laughed a bit at her distaste in saying the word family.

'Thank you for understanding, Lily. I know how much the Guild means to you.'

'But I want you to do this task properly. I'll talk to Gerard and make him rescind your contract. Just do this last one.' she almost pleaded.

He didn't say anything, just nodded.

For her, it was more than enough.

**********************************************************************************

The next day, Edward came back early from work. At her confused look, he said, 'I have to leave for London today. The Shelbys are expanding their business to the city.'

'Are you going alone?'

'Yeah, it seems.' The doubt in his voice was clear.

'Why is he sending you? What can an accountant possibly do?'

'Calm down, Lily. It's nothing. His brothers are busy and I am the only one available. That's it.'

She could smell something fishy alright. But Edward could handle his own. So could she.

'Any update on the figurine?' she asked even though she knew the answer hadn't changed.

'No. But before you shed tears, I have some news.'

'I hope it is not some gossip about Tommy Shelby.'

He narrowed his eyes but continued, 'Polly Gray is getting a new house.'

Her eyes brimmed with delight. Because a new house meant moving. And that was all they needed to get to the figurine.

'That is great. You could volunteer to help her move. They would refuse first, out of respect. But don't bow down. Feed them some shit about them being your saviors and you owe it to them.'

'Noted, captain. Now let me leave for my train.' He said dryly.

'Be careful.' She said firmly.

'I'll be back tomorrow. Nothing to worry. And don't forget to take your injection. It's been a week.'

Lily had had asthma all her life and she had just managed before the epinephrine injections had come in market. Now she just had to self-administer a shot once a week. Still she kept a pack of 'Asthma Cigarettes' in every coat pocket in times of emergency.

'Always a caring husband.' She said fondly as he walked to his room.

And so Lily had the house to herself for two days. As much as she wanted Edward to be safe, she couldn't wait to wear her shirts.

At night she put on her checked shirt which reached her mid-thigh and walked around the house with a glass of whisky in her hand. Soft music was playing in the background and she let her body loose. Maybe this is what salvation felt like, she thought. No worries about the future, no dwelling on the past. Just you and the alcohol and the music.

She was far too young to think about leaving it all, but still she wondered how life would be if she had a loving family and a stable job.

'God, the alcohol is messing me up.' she thought as she shook herself. She was never leaving the Guild, especially for people. Because she couldn't trust anyone expect Gerard. And even he was hiding something.