Chapter 36

Lily woke up late the next morning, a first time in a long while. She got up panicked and found she had slept in the last night’s clothes. The soreness in her head reminded her of last night’s indulgence. Keeping a hand on her head, she cautiously got up from the bed, deciding to keep her alcohol in check, forever.

She made her way to the lavatory and washed up, soaking in the warm water of the tub. When she was done, she brushed the tangles out of her hair and put on her periwinkle housedress. Her headache was making it impossible for her to think. Which was a good thing, she didn’t want to relive the embarrassment of last night. She remembered bits of last night, which involved Tommy lifting her and it was enough for her to stop her foray into memory lane.

I hope the children haven’t gotten up yet, she thought as she made a way towards the nursery. Only to see Tommy there, holding a crying Charlie in one hand while patting Oliver to sleep with his other.

‘You should’ve woken me up.’ She said as reached for Charlie and tried to calm him.

‘I thought you needed rest.’

‘How long have you been here?’

‘Just for a while.’ He said, even though his eyes said another story.

‘Oh, Tommy. You should’ve called a maid.’ She smiled sympathetically, humming slightly to Charlie.

‘I didn’t want to.’

‘Well, you can go to sleep. I’ll take care of them.’

‘It’s eight already. And we have the inauguration today.’

‘It is today?’

’Yeah, I forgot to tell you.’ 

‘It’s fine.’

He cleared his throat, ‘There will be a lot of people at the event.’

‘Don’t worry, Tommy. I won’t tell them about Oliver.’ She said coldly.

‘I meant-'

‘Save it, Tommy. You obviously can’t have people talking about your illegitimate son at your wife’s institute.’

She carried the quieter and roused Charlie out of the nursery with her. She had moved Oliver in the nursery after seeing Charlie all alone. But now she thought it was Oliver who was alone.

‘Why can’t you keep a hold on your mouth?’ Tommy muttered as he stared at her receding back.

Sometime later, when both the children were awake and playing, Mary knocked on the door.

‘Miss Peyton?’

‘Yeah, come in Mary.’

‘Sir sent this for your son.’ she said as she put a package on her bed.

Lily wrinkled her brows as she removed the cover and found a beautiful blue coat with wide buttons. Is that what Tommy wanted to tell her about?

‘Thank you.’

‘Do you need help in getting the children ready?’

‘No, I'll manage. Thank you.’

‘I’ll bring Charles’ clothes too, then.’

When the children were all dressed up, Lily put them under the care of the nanny to get ready herself.

She looked at her clothes hanging in the wardrobe consisting mostly of housedresses and summer dresses, nothing appropriate for a social event. Then she saw the lavender chiffon dress she had bought before going to Greece. It was three years old but looked stylish enough, with a flared skirt and cape sleeves. She checked the dress for any creases or tears and hung it on the hook.

Undressing, she took a look at her chemise-clad form in the mirror. It would be better to pin my hair today, she thought as she picked up the comb and tied her hair in an intricate bun which left her hands aching, but looked elegant. And the pull of the pins helped with her headache too, acting as a painful catharsis.

Half an hour later, she was all ready for the inauguration. The dress was a good fit on her despite the pregnancy curves. She had applied her maroon red lipstick and ignored the rest of the complicated stuff. After going to London, she was meeting Jessie without delay, who was now married to James.

As she rubbed perfume behind her ears, she knew after today, her time at Arrow House was over for certain. And as much as she wanted to leave, she knew she would miss Charles and Tommy. If only things weren’t so complicated. If only she was still in Greece.

She stopped and went to the room far across from hers, cursing herself for being so foolish.

‘Tommy?’ she knocked at his door.

‘Come in, Lily.’

She found him putting on his black waistcoat over his shirt, looking dapper even without the coat.

‘I was wondering if Alexander could come too.’ She said in one breath.

‘Doesn’t he need to leave?’

‘It isn’t the end of the week yet.’ She said blandly.

‘All right. But keep him away from me.’ 

‘Of course.’ She smiled and was leaving when he stopped her.

‘Is that what you’re wearing?’

She looked down her dress and said, ‘Yeah, it’s pretty old but it works.’

‘You look good.’ 

‘Thank you. So do you.’ She said, feeling herself blush a little for no reason whatsoever.

‘Did the clothes fit Oliver?’

‘Yes, thank you for that.’

‘You don’t need to thank me. He’s me son.’

Before the uncomfortable quiet took over, Lily declared, ‘I’ll take Oliver with me to the Institute.’

‘How are you going?’ 

‘With Alexander.’

You’ll come with me, Tommy wanted to say, but knew he couldn’t.

Living with you is enough, I can’t make a public appearance with you. I know it is bad for your image, Lily replied silently.

Lily walked out of the room, only this time her hair didn’t bounce, confined in a complicated bun.

So she doesn’t remember anything yet, Tommy thought as adjusted his tie. All the better if only one person was troubled with last night’s memories. He knew Lily was a good mother and she had treated Charles like her own, not letting the past overshadow her compassion. She had agreed to give up everything and come here, just for him. If times were different…he shrugged off the thoughts as he put on his coat. Today was an important day and in a couple of days, he would be done with the dishonest work. Just as he had promised Grace. There was nothing else that mattered.