Chapter 7

Next morning, her slumber was broken by the sound of mad knocking on her door.

'Who the fuck is knocking like a mad dog?' she mumbled angrily, even though her allegory was not quite right.

She looked down at her state of dishabille and concluded the person at the door had to wait for a while.

She rummaged in her pile of clothes and grabbed a skirt to go with her shirt. And put on a coat for added protection.

Just she walked out of a room, she heard voices coming from her hall.

'Come out now, Mrs Sheffield.' A rough voice ordered from below.

What the hell.

She ran to her room and took out the gun she kept in the bottom drawer. Keeping the gun close at her side, she walked towards the stairs.

But the men were already making their way upstairs.

She could see the top of two heads from her position, both of them with undercut similar to the one she had seen yesterday on Tommy Shelby.

'Are you ready to go, miz?' The rough voice asked, belonging to the man with slightly longer hair and a bushy moustache.

Sticking close to the wall, she yelled, 'Who are you?'

'We are the Peaky fucking Blinders. Now come down!'

She tightened her grip on the gun and walked till she was in front of them. 'Get out of my house. Or I'll call the police!'

'Fucking hell.' The other man whispered loudly, reaching for something inside his coat.

A gun. Damn it.

One of them, the quiet one, with closely cropped hair walked while Lily gripped the gun tighter and pointed it at him.

'Drop the gun.' He said quietly.

'Move out of my way and no one gets hurt.'

He kept walking closer.

'Stop! Or I'll shoot.'

'Listen, miss, all I need you to do this come with us.'

'Over my –'

Her last words were cut off when something hard shut her mouth close. A hand. A fucking hand.

She kicked at the man behind her and the other one snatched the gun from her. She bit the hand hard. The man groaned but didn't loosen his grip.

'Come on, John. Get her in the car before she cuts me arm off.'

John. Was he a Shelby brother? And it would only make sense if the other one Arthur. What did the Shelby brothers want from her?

John bent down to pick her legs, while the other man shifted his hands to under her shoulders and carried her out of the house.

'Let go of me, you god-damned fools!'

To her surprise, they both chuckled. At her.

'Wait till everyone comes out of their houses.'

She said as they unceremoniously took her out of her house. But was shocked to find no one in the street.

'Mrs. Hancocks!' she yelled nevertheless for her next door neighbour.

'Call them all you want. They won't be coming to your help today.'

'Fucking hell.' She said as she thrashed one last time before they put her into the car.