Chapter 22

Tommy walked back to his study where Lily was seated, using every bit of his willpower lest he burst out in flames. He didn't know what game Lily was playing, but she would face dire consequences once he knew the truth. He had men in places one couldn't think of and finding about Lily would no longer be as difficult as it had been almost three years ago. But first he needed to hear her side.

Lily had the baby resting on her shoulder when he flung open the doors of his study. She looked up at him and gave him a half smile.

'How are you, Tommy?'

He nodded as he took out a cigarette from its case.

'I am sorry about Grace.'

He sat down behind his desk, lighting the cigarette.

'Where were you all these years?'

'I was in Crete. It's an island in Greece.'

Tommy continued looking at her with cold intensity.

'How old is your son?'

She paused for a second.

'He will be two in January.'

Like hell, he hadn't seen much of the boy, but he had looked older than Charlie and Charlie was barely 18 months old.

'Yeah?'

'Yes. I know the Russians you're doing your business with. I can call some people and you'll have every small detail about their mansion. And I brought some equipment which will help you, with the collection. '

Tommy was momentarily diverted from the topic at hand. The Russians and the priest had become the priority ever since...ever since he lost Grace.

'Good thinking, it'll be helpful. But don't call anyone , the Secret Service might be listening.'

'Trust me, I won't have any trouble.' she said jauntily.

'Am I the father, Lily?'

Lily's face lost all animation when she said the words he was waiting to hear with bated breath.

'He was a Greek man. He died before Oliver was born.'

'If you're saying the truth, my condolences. But if I find out otherwise, you must be prepared for the consequences.'

'I'll take leave if all is done.' She replied coolly.

'I want all the information by tomorrow.'

'It isn't that simple. Give me three days, at least.'

'Tomorrow you'll walk in with a map of the mansion.'

'What is wrong with you Tommy? I am kilometres away from my associates, it will take time.'

'You will leave for London today and tomorrow evening I'll have the map in my hand.'

'Fu-', she paused mid-way and awkwardly got up from the chair, considering she had a baby in her arms.

'At present, only you and Polly know about the robbery. I'll tell the boys later. I want it to stay that way.'

Her words sounded sincere, when it was evident all she wanted to do was run away screaming, 'You have my word, Tommy.'

Lily was trembling with anxiety when she got back to the house with Oliver. The meeting with Tommy had been exhausting despite its short duration. She had had to control the nervous jiggling of her legs as well as maintain her composure when he'd asked about Oliver.

Of course he would've thought about his parentage. And though it had crushed her, she knew she couldn't tell him the truth. Especially now, when he'd just lost his love. It would break him. His words of threat didn't scare her, because there was nothing that said Thomas Shelby was Oliver's father. The people in Greece had accepted Peyton as her married name so when she had named him Oliver Peyton, there had been no issue. If only Tommy didn't get his hands on his birth records, everything would go on smoothly.

But what was the deal about sending her to London? A bloody car was on its way to take her there in some time. She couldn't take Oliver with her, travelling again would put a toll on his health when they'd just returned from Greece.

She was setting Oliver in his crib when Alexander sauntered in the room.

'I hope you told him about Oliver.'

'What are you saying?' She whispered angrily and went to close the door. The house was owned by the Shelbys and she couldn't have anyone eavesdropping. 'Tommy can never know. That's why I am here instead of in Crete.'

'But he deserves-'

'He deserves nothing. He has a son who has lost a mother. Knowing about Oliver is only going to make things tougher.'

'What about your son? Doesn't he deserve to know about his father?'

'I'll tell him when the time is right. Which isn't now. We just need to help them and leave for Crete.'

'Help in what?'

'They need some information about a former client.' She said evasively.

Alexander shook his head in disbelief. 'You're protecting him. After everything.'

'He is the father of my son. And at some time, I loved him.' She said as offhandedly as she could.

'Help the criminals. But I will not let you drag Oliver in their business.'

Anger got better of her and she said scornfully, 'Who are you, Alexander?'

She regretted her words immediately but Alexander's face had already contorted with the pain of hurt.

'I am someone in love with a woman who still loves the man who left her pregnant and alone. Yeah, that's what I am.'

And walked out in his loose limbed walk, only this time his shoulders were hunched.