Chapter 33

The next day, Alexander came to Arrow House with the intention of taking Lily and Oliver. Luckily for everyone, Tommy was at his Small Heath office when he arrived.

‘I am here, latria mou.’ He sang as he settled on the chair.

‘Wait in the living room. And take Oliver. He isn’t letting Charlie sleep.’ Her harried voice ordered from upstairs. 

While Lily took Charlie to his nursery, Alexander made Oliver say random words. He was teaching him 'bat' when his gaze fell on the car which stopped at the gates of the mansion. And out came Thomas Shelby.

Alexander smiled a little as he saw him walk inside. An idea had stuck with him ever since he had been in Birmingham and it couldn't hurt to try it. A little maybe, as he would realise later.

‘Oliver, can you say it?’ He asked loudly, making sure Tommy stopped to listen to him.

‘Bah.’

‘Say Dad.’                                                                   

‘Duh!’ Oliver raised in hand in triumph.

‘Da-ad. Call me Dad.’

‘Fucking get away from him.’  Tommy pushed Alexander, who was kneeling in front of Oliver.

‘Shelby? What’s wrong?’ He asked innocently as he got up.

‘Stop your fucking bullshit right now.’ He pointed his finger at the tall Greek.

‘Don’t swear in front of the baby.’ He put his hands on Oliver's ears in mock concern.

‘I’ll say what I want to in front of my son.’ Tommy roared.

‘Is he though?'

And a split second later, Tommy’s fist made contact with Alex’s cheek.

‘Fuck! Are you out of your mind?’ He asked as he gingerly touched the burning skin.

‘Cross me one more time and I’ll fucking cut you.’ 

‘Alex?’ Lily panted from the door, alerted by the sudden noise.

She walked hurriedly towards the pair as she saw the blood on Alexander’s cheek.

‘What’s going on?' She asked Alexander, a little out of breath.

‘Tommy Shelby was teaching me some throws.’ He smirked and ambled away.

‘What was that about, Tommy?’ She demanded.

‘Get him the fuck out of here.’ He said as he took out a cigarette, completely oblivious to the mess he'd created.

‘We were just leaving.’

‘You are not going anywhere.’ 

‘Just yesterday you said-’

‘Dad!’

They both stopped and looked down at Oliver who was happily slurring.

Tommy picked him up in a second and said frantically, ‘Say that again. Call me Dad, Oliver.’

Oliver looked at Lily and she smiled, ‘Say it, Oliver. Dad.’

‘Dad.’

Tommy hugged him close and buried his face in his shoulder. Oliver began to writhe at the sudden contact and he reluctantly loosened his hold. He saw Lily looking at them tenderly, then suddenly her face became bereft of emotion and she looked lost.