chapter 46

When the trio reached Watery Lane, Lily saw a familiar man standing near Tommy’s door, surrounded by the guards.

‘Lily!’ Colin yelled in help when she came in his line of sight.

‘Colin? What are you doing here?’ She got out as soon as the car came to a stop, leaving Tommy to glower at the blonde-haired man from Lily’s Christmas party.

But before she could ask more, Oliver burst into tears, ‘You c-c-called-‘

‘No, sweetie. I didn’t call Gerard,’ she turned to appease him and took him out of the car, ‘Don’t ask.’ She muttered to Colin.

‘He saw a rat?’

‘Yeah,’ she said with a weary look at the howling Oliver, ‘Let’s go inside, this will take time.’

‘Are you sure? Because that man is ready to murder me with his eyes.’

She knew who he was talking about without even looking back, ‘Don’t mind him, that's how he looks.’

‘Let me take Oliver. He is a good enough shield for now.’

‘Thank you,' she said gratefully and turned to look at Tommy, only to find him right behind her, 'Are you coming in, Tommy?’ He hadn’t answered her about May’s departure, maybe she was waiting in Midland Hotel for him.

‘I live here, Lily.’

‘Yes, you do.’ She muttered as she opened the door and led Colin inside the house. Taking Oliver back, she instructed him to sit on the sofa,

'Sit here, I'll put him to bed.'

‘I don’t want to be alone.’ He said through gritted teeth with a sideward gaze at Tommy, who was taking off his coat.

She looked at him in exasperation, ‘He won’t kill you. Just don’t talk to him.’

‘Who are you?’

‘I’m Colin Davis.’ He sat up straight as Tommy offered him the glass of whisky.

‘What brings you to Small Heath, Colin?’

‘I’m here to take Lily.’ And to check if she is alive, Colin thought as he took a sip of the whisky.

‘She isn’t going anywhere.’ 

‘It’s only for a day, Mr. Shelby. It’s my uncle’s 60th birthday.’ He pleaded.

‘Who?’

‘Our boss. Gerard Davis.’

‘Is he Lily’s lover?’

Tommy had expected him to become enraged, even embarrassed. But the young man only sniggered, ‘You are a funny man.’

He looked at Tommy’s impassive expression and sobered up, ‘No. It isn’t like that. But he loves Lily and even though she wouldn’t say it, Lily loves him too.’

‘Why?’

Does anyone needs to justify their love, Colin thought as he considered Tommy's question, but he still replied, ‘He says she looks like his daughter who died thirty years ago. And she because, you know.’ Colin gave him a knowing look as he took another sip of the whisky.