Chapter 31

An hour after Alexander went for his nap, the maid notified her of another caller. Thankfully, female.

‘How are the little babies?’ Polly asked as she entered the drawing room where the children and Lily were sitting.

‘Cranky and bursting with energy.’ Lily replied as she coaxed the toy from Oliver’s mouth while trying to keep Charlie from running outside.

Polly patted their cheeks and said, ‘I heard Tommy knows our little secret.’

‘Yeah, he does. And he has behaved almost gentlemanly regarding the revelation.’ She said as she gave a toy to Charlie.

‘How?’

‘He hasn’t tried to snatch him away from me. Or shoot me dead.’

‘He has been busy.’

‘You know Polly, you’re supposed to be on my side.’

‘I want the family to be together.’

‘Then why did you let me go?’

‘Because Tommy wasn’t grieving. This baby can help him heal.’

‘Is that what he is? The harbinger of Shelby family’s peace?’

‘I heard your associate is here. Don’t you want him gone before Tommy comes back?’

‘He had a long journey. And Tommy won’t be coming back tonight.’

‘Are you getting even?’

‘No. That’s disgusting. He will leave after dinner. It’s the least Tommy can do, after making me stay here.’

Polly got up from the sofa and smoothed her skirt, ‘Well said. I’ll take leave now, my painting is ready.’

Lily gave a small whoop, ‘Be good, Polly.’

‘I won’t.’

The boys were so tired that they happily agreed to their afternoon nap. Which left Lily idle and wanting to jostle Alexander awake. But he refused to budge, snoring slightly in the guest bedroom. 

 She tried again in the evening, after the children had had dinner and were put to bed.

‘Wake up, Alex.’

‘I’ll tell you before Shelby comes back. Just let me sleep.’ He mumbled, not even bothering to open his eyes.

‘When will you tell me?’

‘At the crack of dawn. Even before the sun rises.’

‘You’re putting me in so much trouble.’ She muttered.

He said nothing, just smiled and snuggled deeper in the covers.

Lily left his room to get ready for bed, sulking a bit at his immaturity.

It was risky for him to stay the night. But hopefully Tommy won’t return till afternoon. And with Alexander back, she could live in the old house. Tommy wouldn’t want him in Arrow House.

‘Morning, princess.’ She said as Alexander trudged downstairs, dragging his bags. She had been waiting for him to come down for too long in her flower- print green dress whose skirt reached her knees and full sleeves covered her hands.  

‘No matter how early you go to bed, it is a crime to wake up at this  hour.’

‘It is two hours past sunrise. Now quickly tell me what is the bad news?’