Chapter 35

Tommy was already in the hall when she reached. He looked at her for a second too long and Lily wondered if she was overdressed. A bit, she realised as she took in his grey vest and blue shirt. Thank heavens she hadn’t applied the rouge.

‘Good evening, Lily.’ He greeted and offered her his hand.

‘Good evening, Tommy,’ she replied warily as she put her hand out. Was he taking her words seriously?

‘We’re having dinner here, in the house.’ He looked at her meaningfully.

Apparently not.

‘Well, I decided to dress up. I haven’t gone out in almost four months.’ 

‘Do you wanna go out?’ He asked in confusion.

‘No, just forget I said anything.’ She wrung her hands.

‘I’ll try to.’ He murmured, obviously referring to her words in his study.

‘Shall we have dinner? I am starving.’

When they were seated on the table, just adjacent to each other, Lily asked, ‘Why did you offer dinner?’

‘I thought you might need company. Since your friend left.’ He reached for the whisky.

‘Tommy, I know what you did.’ She said solemnly.

He paused and looked at her.

‘Do you?’

‘Yes! I know you played me. And him.’ 

He gave a small sigh and filled two glasses.

‘And he is the most innocent man in the world, right?’

‘No. But you hit him.’

‘He was making my son call him Dad.’ He said, his voice rising a notch.

‘And you didn’t like that?’

He didn’t answer, just took a sip of the whisky.

‘It’s all right. He was doing it on purpose.’

‘Remind me to give him the porter' job in Boston.’

Lily burst out laughing, and continued till she was breathless.

‘Calm down. Or you’ll be wheezing in a few moments.’ He smiled a little into his glass.

‘Oh, my God, Tommy. You are so bloody nettled.’

‘I thought you were starving.’

‘I apologise. Let’s begin,’ she removed the glass lid from the plate and looked around to find the room empty except for them.

‘Where is everyone?’ she asked.

‘I gave them the night off.’

‘Why?’ She asked, this time suspiciously.

‘Because I can.’ he said plainly.

‘I am not one of your women, Tommy.’

‘You can say the word, I won’t mind.’

‘See? You don’t even respect the women who let you –‘

‘I’ve always asked for their consent. I thought you wanted it too, after that night. But apparently you didn’t and I didn’t force you to think otherwise.’

She didn't answer him, just picked up the glass, feeling unreasonably attacked by his sanctimonious tone.

‘Shall we start?’ He asked.