Chapter 8

Lily walked on the Birmingham streets with a firm resolve. The kind you get after you decide to leave the place which almost made you die of breathlessness. She was calling Gerard and he was freeing her from the undertaking. Tommy Shelby knew her name, her profession and had caught her in the act. He knew more about her than anyone not associated with the Guild. She couldn't live in this city anymore without having her cover blown. She needed out.

She unlocked the door with excessive force and stomped towards her room. A harried looking Edward came out from the hall.

'You're back?' Of course he was, Lily thought in her mind. Tommy Shelby had needed Edward out of the way to get the work done. It made complete sense now.

'What happened?' he ignored her as he took in her panicked expression.

'We can't stay here anymore.' She moved past him and made her way to her room.

Edward went behind with her and when he reached her, he grabbed her by her shoulders to calm her down.

'Tell me what happened.'

'Tommy Shelby knows about Emily and the kids.' At the mention of his family, Edward's eyes widened in panic. 'What! How?' he sat down on the bed with a thud and rubbed his face.

'I don't know. He also knows that I am a thief.'

'How can he possibly know that? No one knows that. The Guild is the most protected underground company.'

Taking a deep breath, she wrung her hands as she sat down on the floor beside him. 'You know last month I was at Ada Thorne's house?'

'I know. Don't worry too much about that.' he said distractedly.

'Tommy was there. He saw me, damn he would've almost killed me.'

'He hit you? You said it was a mugger.'

'I didn't know who he was then. Just today I found he is Ada Thorne's brother.'

'You know kid, it would help you if you pay more attention to the minutes of the assignment.'

'I know. And I am sorry. But first we need to get out.'

He nodded. 'Yeah, you're right. We can't risk it anymore. I'll call Gerard.'

'No, you stay here and pack your stuff. I'll call him. it's my fault anyways.'

He looked at her in sympathy and went to his room.

5 minutes later, she waited while the operator connected her to the conspicuously hidden telephone of Gerard Davis.

'Quick. You have 1 minute.'

'We need to come back. Shelby knows about us.'

'No, he doesn't. He knows about you, and it will stay that way until I have my figurine.'

'That man is the King of this place. And Polly is his aunt.'

'Trick him, charm him. Kill him, for all I care. I need you to do your work. You were the one who asked for it.'

She knew it was moot to argue with Gerard, still she put down one demand. 'Let Edward go. his family is not safe.'

Sighing, he agreed to it, confirming her fears that they were definitely in trouble.

'And I'll get a 75 on the figurine. That man is out for my blood.'

'We'll discuss it when you do your job.'

'75 or I leave for Glasgow with Edward.'

'Done. Now hang up.'

Letting out a deep breath, she put the phone back at its place.