The Grand Reopening

Back at her house, Lily shrugged out of her coat and hat and walked to the telephone in the hall.

When the operator transferred her call, she found herself gripping the handle tighter.

'Hello?'

'Mrs. Gray?'

'Lily? What can I help you with?' Polly was going to help her? She must be in deep trouble then.

'Nothing. I wanted to wish you. Happy birthday.'

'So many people remember my birthday today.' She could tell the words weren't meant for her ears.

'Sorry?'

'Thank you, Lily. I hope you are all right now?'

'Yes, about that. What did you tell Tommy?'

'Nothing that should concern you. But he won't trouble you anymore, I promise.'

'He invited me the reopening.'

'Did he, now?'

'He said you wanted me to be there.'

'Yes, I do.'

An uncomfortable silence later.

'So I'll see you tomorrow then. Enjoy your birthday, Mrs. Gray.'

'Call me Polly.' And she hung up.

Strange family.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lily pulled out the third outfit from her rack of clothes in frustration. For someone who had spent her whole life in breeches and men's clothes, this newfound obsession with dresses was beyond her understanding. So far she had rejected a metallic silver dress with tassels and a velvety black dress which had almost bared her breasts. This last one was her only hope and she hoped it didn't disappoint.

Putting it on with care, she hurried to look at herself in the mirror. The dress was icy blue in colour, with sequins running across in an intricate detail. It reached her knees and had a boat-necked neckline which showed off her collarbones. What she loved the most about the dress was its colour, cool and calming. And she vehemently ignored the pair of icy blue eyes which suddenly invaded her thought.

Instead, she focused on make-up. Now, Jessie hadn't had the time to teach her much about makeup, but Lily had at least learnt how to put on lipstick. Rubbing the rose pink colour on her lips, she decided it was enough colour for today. She didn't need to give wrong ideas to anyone. Her husband had left her, for God's sake. Which reminded her, who was she going to talk to at the party? She couldn't be there while people looked at her pity for being the scorned wife or in disgust at her unaccompanied arrival.

She hated herself at that moment. When had she let the opinion of people matter to her? She was Lily fucking Peyton for God's sake. Grade A Art Collector. Potential President of The Guild. Owner of a manor in Crete Island. And she was worried about the opinion of Peaky Blinders? Shame.

Shrugging on her black coat with undue force, she marched out of her lodgings and drove off to The Garrison. It was seven, and she was pleased to know she was more than an hour late. Take that, Tommy Shelby.

Music blared outside the street leading to the pub and a throng of people bustled into the door. Must be a huge affair, after all.

And boy, was it. Lily had to literally close her eyes against the bright of the room. It didn't look like a run-down pub anymore, it was a bloody casino. Albeit without the stuff casinos had. The tables were covered with expensive red cloth and golden light spilled across the room. The place was loaded with people. Now all she had to do was get herself a drink, find Polly to wish her and leave this place.