Chapter 2

'You were mugged in an alley?' Gerard asked for the umpteenth time. And for the umpteenth time broke into a fit of laughter.

'Yes I was Gerard.' Lily replied as calmly as possible with the compression on her head and a makeshift bandage on her swollen ankle.

When he finally stopped, he looked down at her in disappointment.

'Honey, you expect me to believe that?'

'It is the truth, Gerard. I am sorry I didn't get the painting.'

'Oh, you got the painting all right. But a certain someone caught you.'

'I never got there.'

'Shut the fuck up, kid.'

She crossed her arms across her chest, looking like a petulant child.

'I know exactly who hit you. and it wasn't a drunk drifter.'

'How?'

'I had a man there, in the party, to make sure things went smoothly.'

'You sent a spy?' Angered bubbled inside her.

'Look, it was for your protection. I didn't realise they were big people.'

'As if we steal from the working class.'

He raised a threatening eyebrow at her. 

'Alright, collect. But how big can they be?'

'All you need to know is that those people are dangerous. And that's why you are going to Greece. You have a house there, you will be safe.' He said with a finality in his voice, as if he had thought of it beforehand.

'NO! You can't send me there. It was only one job.'

'One job big enough to blow your cover.'

'He didn't see me. It was dark and my hair hid my face.' She touched her unconventionally long brown hair, which reached past her shoulders and presently missed a small chunk.

But Gerard shook his head regrettably. 'I'll miss you, kid.' He reached to pat her head.

Strange tears spouted out of her eyes, but she kept her voice strong. 'You can't send me, Gerard. You need me here. I get the work done, I got us the sword from Clive. Not James, not Emmett. I, Lily Peyton.'

'Your life is in danger. The man who attacked you is their leader.'

Sputtering, she said, 'Well, for a leader, he has some lousy moves. Grabbing the hair? Come on, now.'

Gerard laughed despite himself.

'Okay, kid. I won't send you to Greece. But before you start jumping, let me tell you that I have yet to punish you.'

'You mean you will-'

'Nah, you need something worse.'

'Whatever you say, Gerard. Just don't remove me from the Guild.'

'Go away, now. And don't empty the bottle tonight. I need you sober for the job tomorrow.'

I've kept this chapter short to match up with the next one.