Chapter 10

Lily couldn't shake off the thoughts of Thomas Shelby from her brain.

He had crossed his limits today for sure. But she couldn't work up the anger. Nor could she forget about it like the others. She had learnt to combat unwanted advances like a professional in her twenty-seven year long life. First those nasty priests at the orphanage, then her foster father and later men she encountered while out on a job. Today, however, when Tommy had manhandled her in broad daylight, all she had done was whimper like a fucking coward.

Please let me go. The words echoed in the mind relentlessly to the point she wanted to blow her head off.

But Tommy's words of apology kept her from doing it. Why had he said that? She knew he was a man who never did something he didn't want to. And he had surely pre-planned scaring her off with the threat of rape to send her away. So why the 'sorry'?

Emptying the whisky glass in a single swig, she tumbled into her bed and slept till the throbbing in her skull subsided.

When she woke up, it was almost dark. She had slept for most of the day and was as close to getting the antique as she was a week ago. Shaking away the thoughts of Tommy Shelby and her own volatile emotions, she got up to wash her face and change into evening clothes. She didn't know where she was going but she needed to get out.

She put on a maroon dress with a frilled bottom and covered her bare arms with a woollen shawl. As much as she missed her pants, she had to admit the dresses were growing on her. Perhaps she'll ask Jessie to let her keep some. Picking up her keys from the table, she walked out of her small house and into her car. With a final adjustment of her maroon hat, she revved up her engine and decided to go to the pub after all.

What stopped her was a woman with stringy brown curls and in a long red coat walking across the street towards a lit up house. Was that Polly Gray, scurrying like a thief in her distinct walk? Where was she going?

Looked like the pub had to wait. Polly Gray had been dropped into her lap by the Force itself. As much she hated the idea of religion, she couldn't deny the chance.

She made her way to the house, waiting five minutes till Polly got in. she realised it was the house of the woman who claimed to see dead people. And was most probably the biggest scam artist. But who was Polly seeing?

She walked into the room oozing confident she was far from feeling, probably the most over-dressed person in the room. Everyone was seated by the time she reached the table, and the clairvoyant looked up at her in polite confusion.

'My name is Lily Sheffield. Would you mind if I joined today's session?'

'No, of course. Please take a chair.'

A pair of women scooted to give her space so she was sitting across Polly, her hardened expression masking the barest hint of interest at her presence.

'Let's begin. Hands on the table.'

She kept her ringless hands flat on the table, reiterating the story in her mind. She couldn't fumble, not in front of Polly Gray of all people.

'Tonight we have two new pilgrims joining us. So let's welcome them.'

Lily watched Polly's eyes look at the older woman, probably cursing her for drawing attention to her. But the medium merely gave a sugary smile to her. And then she looked at Lily.

'Starting with you.'

Lily looked up in acknowledgement, hoping her diffidence was disguised as reticence.

'Who is it that you are seeking to reach?'

'My-my baby.' Lily felt Polly turn to look at her and continued her story, 'He was born premature and died two days later last June. I met Mrs. Breach' – the medium Lily had heard about once from Fiona's mouth slipped out of her tongue like slime- 'but she said my baby doesn't hear me.'

'Don't talk about Mrs. Breach in this house. She is an unsanctified charlatan.' The medium said with contempt.

She saw Polly put a finger under a nose and sniff. Was she smiling? Did she know the woman was a fake?

'And you?' the medium looked at the other woman. 'Who do you seek?'

In the next few moments, Lily knew all about the family of Polly Gray. Her dream about her daughter brought chills even to her thick skin. These Shelbys had a great deal of dishevel in their lives. And still they were alive.

'You're wearing Black Madonna. You're Gypsy?'

'The part of me that dreams is Gypsy.'

There was sudden silence in the quiet of the room and Lily looked on as the medium said some words, probably in a language privy only to the two women.

'My maiden name is Shelby.' At that moment, she witnessed the influence of the Peaky Blinders. 'So...Perhaps you could do me first.'

A most painful and a sham of a séance later, Lily saw Polly's shoulders tremble and she got up from her chair with a enough force to knock it off. Throwing a pound on the table, she left the house shaking violently.

Lily left behind her, hoping she could talk to her. Hurrying outside, she found Polly crying with enough force to make her chest rattle.

'Mrs. Gray?'

'Go away.' Her sad voice screamed.

'I think I can help you.'

'I don't need any help.'

'I can drop you home. It'll help you calm down.'

Polly sighed slowly, then in a voice cold enough to freeze all the blood in her body, said, 'Just leave me alone, girl. I don't want to be near anyone.'

Time for me to adopt Sister Henrietta from Father Paul's Orphanage, Lily thought as she walked closer to the older woman.

'It is not safe for you to walk in this condition. I promise I won't bother you, just let me get you home.'

She knew the firm yet gentle tone had worked on Polly, but being the matron of the Peaky Blinders, she couldn't let it show.

'Just because I feel pity about your babe.'

'Let's go, then.'

The ride was uneventful, with both parties silent during the journey. There were occasional sniffles from Polly's side but Lily didn't interrupt except for passing a tissue to her. She had made a promise and this time she needed Polly to trust her.

When they reached her residence in Watery Lane, Polly got out immediately, not even letting her turn off the car. Lily begin to leave, not wanting to be anywhere near Tommy Shelby at this hour but Polly rounded to her side.

'One word about this to Tommy and I swear I'll cut you.'

'Why would I tell Tommy?' She furrowed her brows in bafflement.

'Because he will ask. Because he's seeing us as we talk.' Without looking away from her, Polly commanded, 'Now leave.'