Chapter 18

Lily had walked on many secluded paths at a much later hour, but the streets of Small Heath were downright spooky. She tried to keep her walk relaxed, taking longer strides as she neared the lodgings.

She could do it, yeah. In five minutes, she would be home, downing a glass of whisky. She remembered she hadn't had whisky since the incident at the Garrison. Tonight was the end of the abstinence.

At that moment, she heard gravel cracking behind her.

No need to panic, Lily. Everyone has a right to walk on the streets. She continued her carefree walk when all of a sudden, a hand clamped on her mouth.

'What's a pretty wench like you doing on the streets?' A hot voice whispered in her ear. And gripped her tightly by the waist.

Caught by surprise, Lily struggled to get out his hold, but he stayed undeterred.

Taking a deep breath, she kicked him hard on his shin. Then as he bent a little in surprise, aimed for his gut with her elbow.

His hold on her waist loosened but he didn't let go. cursing, the man pushed her towards a wall in the alley. Lily was trapped between him and the wall, her arms manacled behind and his leg between hers.

Fucking bastard.

She let out a scream but it was like screaming in an empty space.

The man hit her head against the wall, and Lily saw stars. No, she couldn't lose consciousness, she willed herself to stay focused.

Then mustering all her strength, she pushed at him with her shoulders and his grip on her hands loosened for a second.

Using the moment of weakness to her advantage, she pulled out her hands and turned around. First she kneed him between his thighs, then hit his nose again, leaving him groaning. As a final touch, she alternated between punching him the gut and face until he was sprawled on the ground.

'You goddamned fucker.' She said as she continued to kick is prone body, until her voice broke down in sobs. 'You fucking bastard.'

Suddenly a pair of arms encircled her waist, just like the man had done and she writhed. 'Let go, you pig.'

'It's me, Lily. Tommy. Now calm down.'

Lily tried to bring her breathing back to normal as she stopped struggling. 'Please let go of me.'

He dropped his arms from her waist gradually and walked to her side. 'Come, I'll take you to your place.'

'There's no need. I can manage.' She replied, sniffling slightly.

'Yes, you can.' He looked down at the unconscious man in amusement. 'But I need to talk to you about somethings.'

She only shrugged casually and walked with him to his car.

When they were settled in the car, she rested her head against the metal, waiting for him to say what he wanted to. But he remained quiet, occasionally clearing his throat.

'The man was a factory worker. I'll deal with him.'

'Can we please not talk about it?' She closed her eyes wearily.

'It was not your fault.'

She put her hand on her forehead and felt something warm and wet. The fucker had given her a cut.

When they reached her place, she hurried to get down and go into her house as quickly as possible. But Tommy was already waiting for her.

'Thank you for dropping me, Tommy. But it's better if I stay alone.' She lightly touched his hand.

'You're bleeding.' He said as he tugged her hair behind her ear.

She felt her eyes sting and she looked down to hide the evidence from him.

'Hey.' He said softly and placed a hand on her cheek.

The tears streamed out her eyes freely and he reached for her shoulder, just like she had a few hours ago.

'Come, let's go inside.'

Indoors, Lily found herself sitting on her sofa with a filled glass of whisky in her hand. Tommy settled adjacent to her, with a glass in his hand too.

'You're all right?'

'I will be.' Her hand touched the dressing he'd put on her forehead.

'Don't touch it.'

'How did you find me?' She asked as she put the glass on thee table. She felt nauseated from the smell, a first for her in several years.

'I was coming to check on you, since you didn't call me. I heard your voice from the street.'

She nodded. They were quiet for a while when Lily spoke up, looking at the brown liquid in the glass before her eyes.

'He was my foster father.'

Tommy looked up sharply.

'He used to call me a whore whenever I wore dresses or played outside. One day, his wife had gone to her in-laws for two days. And he-' She squeezed her eyes, as if in pain.

'Lily.' Tommy was standing next to her, his hand on her shoulder.

She shook her head. 'I was fifteen. But I knew if it had happened once, it would happen again. So I ran from the care.'

He pressed her closer to his waistcoat and she wrapped her arms around him.

After a while, she extricated herself and wiped her eyes. 'I am sorry. I never do this.'

'It's fine. You should get some sleep.'

'Yeah. Thank you, Tommy. For everything.' She looked up at him, her eyes red-rimmed with tears.

He only nodded, an unreadable expression on his face.

When he left some time later, Lily lain in her bed, staring at the ceiling realized something groundbreaking.

She was in love with Thomas Shelby. And she had to leave Birmingham as soon as possible, perhaps tomorrow morning.