Chapter 26

Lily spent the next two days calling her colleagues about their aborted mission. Tommy hadn’t reached her since their peculiar meeting near the woods. Which was fine, staying away from him was best for her. She had seen his tender side and try as she might, she couldn’t erase that image. It was easier to justify keeping Oliver from him when he behaved like an ogre.

She was writing down the name of one of the clients when Alexander came in the room.

‘I am leaving for Greece.’ He declared.

She looked up in confusion. 

‘What’s wrong, Alexander?’

‘I got a telegram from Mum about some urgent work at the farm.’

‘Why didn’t Lydia reach me?’

‘It’s a trivial matter. Maybe she thought you were busy with the Shelbys.’

‘Why are you going if it isn't important?’

‘I have to, Lily.’ He answered in a decisive voice which refused any other objections.

‘When will you be back?’

‘I think you will be in Greece before that.’

‘I hope so too.’

‘My ship leaves tomorrow morning.’

‘Tomorrow? You didn’t mention anything about it.’

‘It was sudden and you were busy, anyway.’

She bit the inside of her cheek and said, ‘Well, tell me if you need any help with packing up.’

‘Yeah I will, thank you.’

‘Send a letter when you reach the Island. And keep me posted about the farm.’

‘Yes ma’am, I will.’

Lily walked in the kitchen to prepare dinner for Alexander. It would be lonely here without him, but she was relieved he was going. The events of the other day made her worry about his safety.

She was washing the vegetables when the phone rang. Wiping her hand on the apron she made her way towards the telephone.

‘Hello?’

‘Lily, it’s me.’ Tommy’s voice came weak and laborious through the phone.

‘Tommy? What’s wrong?’

‘I need you in Warwickshire. To take care of Charles.’

‘What happened?’

‘Please. Just for a few days.’

A hundred questions crossed her mind, but somehow she knew it wasn’t the time to investigate.

‘All right. I’ll be there tomorrow morning.’

‘Thank you, Lily.’