Chapter 34

‘So what did he say?’ Alexander asked as soon as she came back to her room.

‘We can’t go back until the ‘thing’ is done.’ She declared as she sat down on her bed.

‘And?’ He prodded further as he pushed Oliver's crib.

She looked at him and gave him a wide beam, ‘And I got you an amazing job opportunity. In Boston.’.

To her surprise, he didn’t jump in excitement. He barely smiled. Rather, he looked tormented.

‘Why did you do that?’ He asked.

‘I thought you would be happy.’ She asked, puzzled at his reaction.

‘It’s not a matter of my happiness.’

‘Then, what?’ She asked in concern, 'You don't want to work with him?'

Alexander sighed, ‘He called me in his office yesterday, late at night.’

‘What?’ She exclaimed.

‘He found out about my past rebellious days. When I was working in that company in Greece.’

‘You mean organising strikes? Revealing classified information?’

He ignored her correction and continued, ‘He said I’ll have to go far away from you. Or he will inform every company in England about my trouble-making past, making it impossible for me to get a job.’

‘Then why did you come here?’ It was getting difficult for her to comprehend the situation. Tommy had threatened to leave him jobless only to hire him at her request.

‘I told him I would stay with you, since you wanted to leave his house. And when you were safe, I would go back to Greece.’

‘Oh, Alex.’ She reached to touch his cheek tenderly.

He didn't pay attention to the rare event when she looked at with such warmth and continued, ‘Yeah, he thought so too. So he offered me a job in Boston.’

‘And you took it?’

He shrugged and said, ‘Of course. It’s not like I had things to do in Greece.’

‘What about your family? England is a lot closer than America.’

‘You know how they feel about me, Lily. I am the black sheep.’

‘They’ll miss you.’ She said softly, knowing it was not the exact truth.

To her lack of surprise, he scoffed, ‘I’ve seven siblings and eighteen nieces and nephews. I don’t think they will have time to miss me.’

‘Why don’t you get it? They all love you.’ This she knew was the truth but he shook his head, motioning her to stop with the sympathy, ‘I only regret irking him. He probably wants me to leave by this week.’

She didn’t need to correct him this time.

‘I feel so stupid. And angry at Tommy. Why is he so..?’ She fisted her hands, unable to find the right word.

‘Manipulative?’ He suggested.

‘Somewhat that. But mostly a prick.’

He snickered as he said, ‘And you’ll have to live with him.’

‘No. I’ll talk to him and tell him I know all about his deceit.’ She stated firmly.

‘Argue all you want, your life is in danger if you live elsewhere. This all,’ he gesticulated with his hands, ‘might be a blessing in disguise.’

‘I hope I get the blessing soon. Oliver is getting attached to Charlie and he said Dad today.’

‘He did?’ He asked, uncharacteristically happy.

Lily’s eyes narrowed at his fake amazement.

‘You taught him that? No wonder Tommy hit you.’

‘I did it for him.’ 

‘No, I think you did it to provoke him.’

‘No, I did it for Oliver. I wanted to see if Shelby actually deserved him or not.’

‘Aww. You didn’t expect the punch, though?’ She asked sweetly.

‘Definitely not,' was his grim reply

Alexander had to leave empty-handed and Lily felt sad at seeing him go. He had been a strong pillar, just like Gerard had been in London and Polly in Birmingham. And it hurt to see him so lonely. Hopefully he’ll find a good American woman in Boston, she thought as she walked back in her room after bidding him goodbye.

She was dressing the boys for bed after she had fed them dinner when Mary knocked at the door.

‘Miss Peyton?’

‘Yes, Mary?’

‘Sir wants you to have dinner with him.’

She looked on, totally flummoxed at the request. She hadn’t expected dinner after that afternoon’s incident. She had been shocked but more offended at his callousness. He had treated her like a faceless woman he could sought his release in. It was an achievement that she hadn’t slapped him.

‘At what time?’

‘After the boys have been put to bed.’

‘All right. I'll be there.' She said tightly.

Half an hour later, Lily looked at her plain clothes and dishevelled hair. She wasn’t eating dinner like this, even when it was with Thomas Shelby. She drew a bath and undressed quickly, almost jumping in the tub. When she was done and smelling of roses, she dried herself and took out a solid red dress which flattered her curves.

Putting it on, she looked in the mirror. The dress was simple enough with a round neckline and sleeves which left her arms bare. She brushed her long hair into silky waves, putting a small hair clip at the crown. She had never tried the popular finger waves or applied pomade and it showed. But when she washed and combed her hair, they were as good as new.

Her gaze fell on the lipstick on the table. And she looked at her face. A little colour won’t hurt, she thought as she applied a single coat and rubbed her lips.

Yeah, it looked good without trying too hard, she decided as she went out of her room and hurried downstairs to have dinner with Thomas Shelby.