chapter 48

After a tense breakfast, where Oliver hadn’t said a word around Tommy and Charlie had asked his father to buy his new brother a flat cap, Lily found herself in Tommy’s car. He was taking her to his office as promised and she couldn’t be less enthused about it. While she had agreed to head the project, she couldn’t deny the circumstances leading to its occurring.

‘What did you do in London?’

‘Celebrated Gerard’s birthday. Completed the pending work. Slept like the dead in my bed.’

Keeping the images of Lily in a bed at bay, he asked, ‘Are you the President of this shady business?’

‘What else did Colin tell you? And no.’ 

‘Why not?’

‘There will be an interview, followed by an election.’

‘Even thieves follow rules?’ He asked scornfully.

‘We’re not thieves. Don’t you ever wonder how no one is in jail?’

‘You must be good or the coppers must be in your pocket.’

‘While you aren’t entirely wrong, the greater truth is that whatever piece we collect is stolen anyways. Those who don’t know that are too rich to be bothered. And those who do can’t complain.’

‘What are you? The Robin Hood of London?’

‘I like that name.’ she mused, deliberately ignoring his sarcastic tone.

‘I still don’t approve of it.’

Her ire rose at his words and she said scathingly, ‘I don’t remember asking for your approval. Have I ever criticised what you do? The cutting, the shooting-’

‘You kept me away from my son.’

‘What you do isn’t the reason behind it and you know that.’

‘If it makes you feel better, I never called the Parrish.’

Incredulous at the revelation, she replied in a forcefully even tone, ‘It doesn’t. But at least you care a little about him.’

‘I do. A lot.’

‘But you still don’t love him.’

‘I never said that.’

‘You don’t have to. I have seen the way you look at him, Tommy. Like you want to force the words out of him. Like you’re running out of patience.’

‘I want to be with him and know him, Lily. What else do you want me to say?’

That you want me too. The thought came out of the blue, leaving Lily gloomy and detesting herself for wanting the one thing she couldn’t have.

‘You can wait in my office.’ Tommy told her after they were inside.

‘Got yourself another secretary?’ Lizzie asked from her desk, taking in the expensively dressed woman who was looking at the ugly paperweight as if it was hiding something.