Chapter 42

‘Mum, I dr-dr-drink my milk.’

‘Very good, sweetie. Do you want anything else?’ she asked as she wiped the moustache from his face.

‘No.’

‘Charlie, do you need something?’

‘No, Lily. Thank you.’

She raised her eyebrows a bit at his manners. ‘Alright, then.’

She was breaking an egg for the omelette when Tommy left his room in his impeccable suit and a briefcase in his hand. He sat down on the vacant chair and opened the case to take out a bunch of papers.

‘Aren’t you late?’ She asked as he put on his gold-rimmed round glasses.

‘Two of Aberama’s men are coming. They will be outside at all times.’

‘Like yesterday?’

‘Dad, I finished my breakfast.’ Charlie interrupted her tirade.

‘Good boy, Charlie. Did you too, Oliver?’ Tommy realised he hadn’t taken a good look at him ever since he had been back. His hair were unruly and curled, unlike Charlie’s neatly parted hair. And he was a bit taller, his body lankier than Charlie’s. Was she even feeding him properly?

‘Y-y-yes.’

Tommy stared at him through his  glasses then looked at Lily in question, who didn’t meet his eyes.

‘The doctor said it’s temporary. He’ll outgrow it.’ She said as she put the egg in the plate.

‘Dad, can I go play with Oliver?’

‘Yeah, go.’ He said distractedly.

When the boys ran into the other room, she wiped her hands on the apron and walked where Tommy was sitting.

‘Tommy, I wasn’t joking yesterday. I am leaving.’

He answered without looking up, signing his papers, ‘It isn’t safe for you to be out in open.’

‘That man thought I was your wife. If I wasn’t here, there wouldn’t be any suspicion.’ She said as someone knocked on the door.

‘Now that you’ve been a target, it puts you in more danger.’ He got up and went to get the door, while she gripped the table until her knuckles turned white.

He dealt the visitors from outside and she heard low murmurs of their conversation in the kitchen.

‘I need both of you here at all times. Don’t leave this house unattended for even a second.’

‘Yes, Mr. Shelby.’

He came in and was reaching for his overcoat when she said, ‘Have something before you go.’

‘No.’

She shook her head a little, annoyed at his detached behaviour. He had been quiet after last night and had probably slept in his office upstairs. As if he had any reason to be annoyed. She was the one who could be possibly pregnant, all because he wanted to prove a point. And she couldn’t even work up the anger. Last night was a sign that he was drowning in grief he couldn’t express, and he had her complete sympathy.

‘Fine, then.’ she said as she put the plate down with unnecessary force.

‘I’ll be back late. Don’t wait for me.’ He put on his overcoat and then his grey cap.

‘Why would I?’

‘Because I want you to.’ He said and left, leaving her stunned.

Tommy’s thoughts were elsewhere as he watched Bonnie punch the life out of Billy. The boy was a strong arm, no doubt, despite his appearance. But images of Lily and her honey brown eyes plagued him. Almost five years since he’d had Lily. And he hadn’t even given her the luxury of a bed. He had all but rutted into her like a fucking bull, not even looked into her beautiful eyes, touched her lush body. She was traumatised and he had used her weakness to bury his grief. Even talking to her made him feel guilty, an emotion he wasn’t proud of feeling. And it was heightened when she pretended like nothing had happened.

She was fucking asking him to eat breakfast when there could be a possible child inside her. Their child. And as much as would like to make up for missing Oliver’s birth, he was not ready for another. There were more pressing concerns to deal with. Including a particular Jessie Eden, the Changrattas aside.

That night, when he went back home, he was still reeling from his meeting with Luca Changratta. His vendetta against the Shelbys was all too powerful and he needed to be alert at all times. But at least the war was amongst the men; the children won’t be harmed. He was relieved to find the men still near the door and he nodded at them as he made his way inside.

For the first time in a while, he saw proper lighting in the house. The house looked cleaner than he had ever seen, with the lamps lit and curtains drawn.

‘You’re back earlier than I thought.’ Lily said from the sofa, a book in her hands.

‘You did all this?’

‘Don’t look so shocked. I did it because I was bored to death. It’s like I am in a prison.’

‘You didn’t go out much in London, too.’ He said as he settled on the sofa, next to her.

She raised one eyebrow at his knowledge but didn’t question it further, ‘My neighbours were my friends. Here it’s only two little boys.’

‘It’s good they’re getting along.’

‘Yeah, it is. I think Charlie is a little lonely.’

‘I told you he needed a mother.’

She ignored him and continued with her perusal, ‘Even you seem lonely.’

‘I was always like this.’

‘You’ve changed, Tommy.’

‘So have you.’ He said as he touched her sheared hair.

‘I am not talking about the greys or the glasses. You act like you don’t have a heart.'

‘Maybe I don’t.’

‘Why do you have to be so cynical?’

‘When you’ve seen what I have, everything seems bleak.’

‘I might not bear the ravages of the war. Nor have I lost a loved one. But I never had a loved one to begin with. I have lost a child and raised another on my own. Do you know how it was to raise him? People used to ask me who his father was at every occasion, men used to seek excuses to get closer because I was alone and you didn’t make it any easier. So don’t tell me you’re the only one who has seen everything.’

She began to get up, only for him to hold her wrist and pull her down towards him.

‘Why do you always want to combat me, eh?’

‘What are you saying?’ She didn’t look into his eyes, trying to move out of his grasp.

‘At Ada’s place. When it comes to Oliver. In bed.’

‘In bed? Need I remind you about last night?’ His grip on her loosened, and he shifted a little. She took sympathy and said humorously, ‘Don’t answer that, your guilt is radiating in all directions.’

‘Is it possible that you could be pregnant?’

‘I don’t think so. But you never know.’

‘Tell me if there is anything to worry about.’ He began to get up.

‘There is, actually. Have you been using opium?’

‘Not yet.’ He said, almost to himself.

‘I found your pipe while cleaning. There are children in this house, Tommy. I don’t want them to see it.’

‘That’s why you’re here.’ He said and went upstairs, possibly in his study to brood.