28.

Meher and Arham had finished their dinner in silence.
Arham had been working on finding Hoor's whereabouts as discreetly as he could while Meher was busy eating reading her book along.

"I'll be in my study." Arham said getting up from his chair and headed up the stairs.

Meher picked his plate and hers and kept them in the kitchen before heading to the living room.
She switched on the gas and lit up the fire place and turned on the tv, dimming the lights.

She settled on the couch and wrapped the comforter kept on it around her. Browsing through the movies she picked up her all time favourite to watch.

She knew she was going to regret it, but she pushed the play button anyway.

•••

Arham was busy contacting people to find out the taxi driver who had taken Hooriya from Butt mansion.

He was exhausted, he was done. All he wanted was to burry his head in his mother's bosom and let out all his frustration and anger and grief.

He wasn't just battling a war with the world, it was a war with himself and nothing made sense to him at the moment.

He looked at the clock it was quarter past 11, he thought for a while before giving up to his need. He pressed on the name of the only person he could talk to right now. A couple of rings later his phone was answered.

"Hello."

"Yusuf ? Where are you ?" Arham asked.

"Going home, I had some work."

"Do you have a minute to talk ?" Arham asked him.

"Are you .. are you fine meri jaan, why are you talking to me so formally Arham ? Should I come over ?" He asked worried about his friend.

"No brother I just need you to listen to me." He said getting up from his chair. "Hooriya is missing Yusuf." Arham said getting out of the study closing the door behind him.

"Huh ?"

"Phupho asked me to tell Hooriya to give her a call, she isn't with them, she lied about leaving Pakistan, she is missing Yusuf." Arham said walking down the stairs rubbing his fingers on his temples to ease out the pain.

Arham could hear the sound of tv coming from the living room but he walked straight towards the kitchen to brew himself a cup of strong coffee.

He switched on the coffee machine and waited while updating Yusuf with all the events which had taken place in the last 24 hours since he figured out about Hooriya's deceit.

"Arham, she isn't a small child. She'll come back." Yusuf said feeling guilty.
He had never lied to his best friend and now his chest held a lot too many secrets.

"How do you suppose I call down Yusuf, where could she have gone and why would she lie to me ?"

"You two weren't on the best of terms Arham, give her some time and space she will contact you."

"You say as if you know where she is."Arham replied. "How can you say for sure that she will Yusuf, what if she is in some trouble." Arham said running his hand over his face.

"Because if she was we'd know by now, right ?" He said trying to convince Arham.

"Yeah you are probably right." Arham said picking up his cup of coffee and headed out. "I can't help but feel worried Yusuf, I just-." Ahram stopped as he head unexpected loud wailing coming from the living room.

"Yusuf hold on a minute." Arham said placing his cup on a nearby table and rushed towards the living room. As he neared the living room the sound of Meher's sobbing increased.