17.

Meher was never good with goodbyes, especially when they were meant for people she loved. It had been a few weeks since she knew Hooriya but to her it felt like she had known her for years, Meher had found a friend, a sister, a family in hoor.

"Are you sure you have to go ?" Meher cried as she clung on to Hooriya.

"Meher, stop crying. It's not a goodbye, yet. You'll see me soon." Hooriya said rubbing Meher's back soothingly, she tried to hold on to her own tears.

Arham hadn't spoken to her since the last four days, he hadn't come to say goodbye.

Hooriya was fighting her tears, her own battle with her heart and fighting death, all she wanted to do was give up and this moment and let all her pain out in her tears.

"Hoor..Hooriya baaji what will I do without you ?"

"Study." Hoor said caressing her face. "You told me that Yusuf was going to get you the admission of the library right ? So study well, and when I come back we can catch up on all the fun." She said with a smile. "Now I need to leave." She said hugging Meher for the last time .

Hoor turned towards Gulnaz and smiled at her. "Take care of Meher for me. Will you ?"

"I will baaji." Gul hiccuped, "come soon." She said and Hooriya nodded and smiled.

Hooriya turned to look  one last time at the window , she knew who stood there watching her. Taking one eyeful of him she turned around and sat inside the car, leaving Butt mansion and her old life behind forever (?)

•••

Arham had locked himself in the study since morning. He knew very well about the reason of Hooriya's sudden departure.

Arham fumed with anger, who should he blame, his mother, Hooriya or himself.

He spent the entire morning shunned from the world, behind the closed doors of his study.

It was around five in the evening when soft knocks made him look up from his laptop.

"Come inside." He said

The doors were gently pushed open, Meher stepped in balancing the tray in her hand.

She took hesitant steps towards the desk and placed the tray down which had the tea pot and a cup.

"Chai ?" She uttered meekly.

"No sugar." Arham replied, he desperately needed tea to soothe his headache.

Meher shivered listening to his voice, the last time he had spoken to her they had shared intimate moments with each other.
Meher poured him tea and placed it gently on his side on the table.

She stood there in silence watching him as he picked up his tea cup and took the first sip. She could instantly see the frown lines disappear as the tea worked its magic and soothed his headache.

Sensing Meher's presence Arham kept the tea down and looked at her.
"Do you want something ?" He asked.

"No."

"Then ?"

"Arham, I .. my exam are in two months, so I was thinking of joining a library. Hooriya baaji in fact gave me the idea and I -."

"Have you found one yet ?"

"No she did. It's a little away from home but it's good."

"Okay, we'll go in the evening to get you admitted."

"You'll take me ?" Meher asked with surprise.

"You want to go alone ?"

"No no no, I .. voh Yusu-." Meher was interrupted by the loud blaring of Arham's ringtone. Arham picked up his phone and placed it against his ear.

"Remind me at 5." He told Meher before speaking over his phone.

Meher took it as her cue to leave and turned around and left.

She made her way to her bedroom and picked up her phone and dialled Yusuf's number.

Her phone was received at the second ring.
"Hello ?"

"Yusuf ?"

"Nur ? Is everything okay ?" Yusuf asked in panic, he had just finished his rounds and picked up the call without seeing the caller id.

"Yes everything is great, I.. I." She hesitated. What should she say ? Wouldn't Yusuf feel bad about her cancelling their ice cream treat and he had been so generous and offered her first to enrol her into the library.

"Yusuf, Arham said he will take me to the library today, I'm so sorry I -."

"It's fine Meher, don't worry about it." He said. He felt a small pinch in his gut at her rejection.

'Are you crazy Yusuf ? Arham is her husband and it's great that he is taking responsibilities.' Yusuf scolded himself.

"-llo? Hello Yusuf ? Are you still on line ?"

"Yes I am, I've- I've got to go now, I'll talk to you some other time." He said and cut the call abruptly.

AN: It's a very short chapter but at least I've started.
Wedding got over today so I think I'll have some time to start writing again.

Hope you enjoyed it.
Stay safe
xoxo