39.

AN: apology for the coming plethora of caps locked sentences. There is a lot of screaming in the chapter.

For Meher time stood still but the ticking of the clocked echoed in the room, in the moment she forgotten how to breath.

Ten seconds passed, and then twenty and thirty, her eyes skimmed the words again and again and again, and the truth sank in. She felt all the air leave her lungs, and  finally the pain started to pull back like the tide going out, she was in pain, the earth shattering, soul numbing pain, where all she wanted to let out a howl to let go some of her agony but no sound left her mouth

Arham Umair Butt was the husband of Hooriya Hasan Ajmal.

Her fingers curled around the documents, her trembling fingers grasped the sheet of paper which had turned her life upside down.

Meher's feet buckled and her body fell limp on the floor. How could Arham be married to Hooriya ? This wasn't true !
Had she been deceived ?

A heavy feeling radiated in her chest like the tail of a serpent had wrapped itself around her heart preventing her it from beating, squeezing it till it gave up.

A sheen of tears glazed her eyes, blinding her, blinding her like Arham had, like Hooriya had.

She covered her mouth with the back of her palm and let out a heart wrenching sob, the pain was too much like hot white iron rods were being plunged into her chest, she wanted darkness to consume her, to prevent her from the pain which was radiating all over her body from the centre of her chest.

Meher wiped the few stray tears which had rolled down her cheek, she didn't know how long it had been since she had entered the cabin, pushing herself off the floor she steadied herself on her feet and fisted the nikah nama and took slow and broken steps out side his cabin.

The world had turned mute or Meher had turned deaf, all she could feel was the thudding of her heart and the bitter aftertaste of betrayal. Her slow staggering feet stopped in front of the glass door of the conference hall.

"Ms. if there is something you want to pass in you can hand it over to me." The receptionist said outside the conference room.

Meher who had lost her ability to hear or see or comprehend anything pushed the glass door and entered the room.

"Ms. Meher please step outside." The receptionist said softly as she entered behind Meher, but Meher stood there, her eyes on the ground, tears dripped from her eyes onto the floor.

"Ms Meher please." Ms Zafar who had also entered held Meher's arm trying to pull her along with her outside.

"Leave me." Meher said softly, turning to face Alisha Zafa,  she placed her hand on Meher's arm and tried to pull her way.

Alisa let go Meher's arm immediately seeing Meher's blood shot eyes, something about Meher's face was eerie, the calmness in her voice sounded like the silence before storm.

"What nonsense is this !" The booming voice made Alisha Zafar jump in her place.
Alisha turned to look at the table full with the board members. "Take the lady out and give her a memo." Said the bald man sitting on the chair next to Arham.

"This isn't acceptable, you young lady must leave." Said another.

"Gentlemen one minute please." Said a familiar voice. The sound of heel clicking the floor echoed in the room and a pair of Louboutin's stood in front of Meher whose eyes were cast on the floor like in a state of trans.

"Meher, go back to office, what are you even doing here ?" Seher said in a whisper.

"Leave." Meher said.