42.

"What's going on ?" The voice made Hooriya and Safa freeze. They looked at Arham who had a catatonic face. The brewing whirlpool inside of him showed no traces in his external appearance.

"Ammi ? Why are you here, why is Hooriya here and why are you attached to these tubes." He asked in a breath. "Ammi answer me ! And when did you two become civilised, huh ? Fight ! Scream at her Ammi, you hate her don't you, SO SCREAM AT HER." He yelled making Safa flinch.

"Arham stop." Yusuf said stepping in front trying to pull Arham back who was towering his cowering mother.

"Stay away." Arham said shoving Yusuf. "You, you." He said looking at Hooriya who looked at him with glassy eyes.

"What are you doing here ? Where you suppose to be in Lahore or California or somewhere, didn't you want to live your life and enjoy and separate from me ? Then why are you here huh ?"

"Arha-."

"Shhh. Stop." He whispered raising his hand to hush her. "Don't. Don't take my name. This all will seem too real if you do, so don't."

"Arham beta you need to sit down." Safa said worried looking at her sons behaviour.

"Are you doing this to hurt me more ?" Arham asked waking towards Hooriya. "Do you want me to scream in pain, writhe in agony, if you want to hurt me then hit me, punch me, stab me, wound me Hooriya but.. but don't do this, please Ho.Hooriya don't do this please." He said sitting on the stool next to her bed, he whimpered in pain, his voice cracked as he spoke.

"Please, please please please Allah!" Arham howled in pain burring his head in Hooriya's lap, the pain laced in his voice would a wailing mother to shame. Watching Arham break made Safa sob harder, Yusuf too couldn't control his tears.

"Ar..Arham." Hooriya croaked. This was the day she had done everything in her power to avoid. She had made the man she loved hate him, she had spoilt not one, not two, not three but four lives to avoid this very moment.

"No, no no. Please Hoor please, I'll do everything you ask me too, I'll do.. do everything.. don't go, don't go don't go, I'll die, I'll die Hoor don't go, don't leave me I'll die." He sobbed making Hooriya and Safa cry harder.

It was too much for Yusuf to take in, he couldn't see his best friend breaking, he wasn't strong enough.

Yusuf turned around to walk out of the door. He walked towards the door, his eyes for a fleeting moment found Meher who stood inches away from the door.

Meher had her gaze fixed ahead watching Hooriya and Arham, she watched them without blinking her eyes, she stood still like the atmosphere of the room had no effect on her, she stood there, void of any emotion.

Yusuf averted his gaze from her and walked out of the room, out of the confines of the room which reeked of death and depression.

Yusuf leaned against the wall of the corridor and slid down against it, sitting on the floor with his head in his hand, he could still hear Arham's voice screaming on the other side.

Arham's cry of hopelessness and helplessness was driving him crazy. Yusuf placed the palm of his hand on his ears covering them to block out all external voices.

"1..2..3..4..." Yusuf counted to calm himself down. He could feel his heart slow down and his breathing even.
He closed his eyes and focused on his breathing, the sound of air gushing into his chest and out, he connected himself with his mind and body.

The familiar screeching sound of the door made him open his eyes again.
"Doctor ! Anyone, he can't breath, he can't breath." Safa yelled rushing out of the room.