11.

"... it's so good to be back, I'm missed home so much." Safa said walking through the doors. "Amma, Kulsum I'll ask someone to take your bags to the guest bedroom, come on inside."

"Aapa relax you have just come home, and we aren't really guests here." Kulsum said helping her mother walk inside towards the inner sitting room.

Hooriya heard voices outside, she checked the clock on the kitchen wall.

"It's five already ?" Her eyes widened. How did time fly so quickly. Switching off the fire below the pot she covered the pot of kheer and walked outside to greet her in-laws.

"Assalam Walekum momani jaan." She said with a smile as she walked into the inner courtyard.

She knew she wasn't getting a reply, she never did, but always hoped that maybe one day. Well today wasn't her day. She pushed back her slumped shoulders and moved to greet Bijan and Kulsum Khala.

"Assalam Walekum Bijaan, salam Khala." She said bending down to greet the two woman who both wished her and kissed her forehead lovingly.

"Hoori, kya hua ? Why have you become so thin ?" Kulsum asked her with concern.

"Nothing really. I'm trying a new diet, and apparently it works." Hooriya giggled. "What about you Khala ? Found some hot and happening boy for yourself ?" Hooriya winked at Kulsum who blushed.

"Iss nigodi ko kaha ladka mileyga ? Koi apni kafan se char kadam dur, do-char baccho ka baap bhi iska haat tham le toh shukar hai." Bijaan said rolling her eyes. (Who is going to marry this idiot, and you think some young boy will marry her ? If she finds herself a guy with 2-3 kids, who is in this second innings at life, that would be considered a good offer for her)

"Amma zyagti kar rahi hai aap." Kulsum said pointing her finger at her mother. (That's not fair mom)

"Haan chal chal, if you had married my nephew twenty five years ago, you too would have kids almost as old as Hooriya today."

"I'm done with her, Appa I'm going up I don't want to debate with your mother again." Kulsum said rolling her eyes and turned around to leave but stopped as she saw a young girl peaking from behind the pillar.

Meher stepped from behind the pillar playing with the hem of her dupatta. Her cheeks had turned red in embarrassment as she was caught eavesdropping.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I had come down to take a break, I'm so sorry-."

Meher was interrupted by a booming laugh.

"It's okay, my Amma toh here has a habit of complaining about my spinster's life to everyone." Kulsum said with a smile.

"Meher come here." Hooriya called out to her, extending her hand for her. Meher quickly rushed to her side and his her herself behind Hooriya, making Hooriya chuckle at her childish behaviour.

Hooriya looked at Safa, who had her eyes trained at Meher. Hooriya caught Safa's eyes and Safa nodded at her. She had informed her mother and sister about Arham's second marriage.

"Everyone meet Arham's wife Mehrunisa, but we call her Meher. Meher meet Arham's family. This is Bijaan, Kulsum Khala and that's momani jaan, Arham's mother." Hooriya introduced Meher to everyone.

"Mashallah." Safa said stepping forward and Hooriya stepped aside from the scene.
"Finally. I've been waiting for you for so long." She said holding Meher's chin lovingly. "I'm sorry I wasn't home to welcome you." She said kissing Meher's forehead.

"I..It's fine." Meher said giving Safa a small smile.

"Come meet Bijaan." She said guiding Meher  towards her mother.