16.

Meher returned to find everyone assembled in the inner courtyard.

"Assalam Walekum." Meher said looking around at everyone. "What's wrong ? Why do you all look so tensed ?" She said eying everyone occupying space on the sofas.

When she received no answer she walked towards Hooriya and placed her hand on her shoulder.

"Hooriya baaji what's wrong ?"

"Kuch Nahi Meher voh bus-." She was interrupted by Arham's sudden movement. He got up and gave Hooriya a pointed look before sauntering off. (Nothing really it's just -.)

"I'm freaking out a little, tell me what's happened ?"

"Nothing really. I'm just going to visit my parents a few days, I haven't seen them in long time and now just feels like the right time to see her."

"But Hooriya baaji Abhi kyu (why now), I've just come here, I need you." Meher said with pleading eyes.

"You don't need anyone Meher." Safa chipped into the conversation. "You have me and you have your sohar, this is your house, you don't need anyone to help you getting accustomed to it."

"Aunty but I -."

"It's her decision and she has taken it. Do not force her to stay." Safa said taking her leave, leaving behind her sister and her two daughter in laws

Hooriya got up slowly from her seat and walked towards Meher, placing her hand on her shoulders.
"You always have me, I'm just a phone call away."

"But baaji I can't -."

"You can. I'm not always going to be here Meher, this house, these people, they are yours to take care now." She said caressing Meher's cheeks. "And I'm just a phone call away."

•••

Hooriya had begun to pack her clothes to shift to the other side of the town with Kulsum and Bi jaan. Kulsum had agreed to keep the arrangement a secret.

Kulsum and Bi jaan had shifted to their house a day after Hooriya had decided to leave the Butt Mansion. Hooriya had to wait for another three to move out.

One more day to go.

She took a deep breath and zipped her suitcase placing it by the door. She turned around to walk back to the bed as the simple act had her exhausted already, but was interrupted by the knock on the door.

She turned to knob of the door open already knowing who was standing outside.

"Come in." Hooriya said with a broad smile and was greeted by a sad small smile instead.

"Don't go Hooriya baaji." Meher pleaded.

"I'm always going to be there with you, remember just a phone call away."

"I don't have a phone." Meher said childishly.

"I know, but now you do." Hooriya said with a full blown smile.

"Ji ?"

Hooriya got up from beside Meher and walked towards her dresser table, she pulled out a gift bag and handed it to Meher.

"What is this."

"Tumhara phone." (Your phone)

"What ?" Meher smiled widely and teared open the packet.

She pulled out a new fancy looking phone and held it carefully in her palms.

"Mehenga hai ?" (Is it expensive ?)