8.

AN: sorry I know updates are on Thursday but I just forgot, thanks to a wonderful reader who reminded me I was due the update.
Hope you enjoy the read ♥️

Meher had set her books in the library and Hooriya had arranged for a table and chair for Meher to use.

It was five pm when a knock on the library door made Meher finally close her books and stretch her body.

"Come in." She said softly.

The doors opened and revealed Gulnaz standing there with a glass of water. She walked inside and kept the glass on the table, replacing it with the empty one.

"Thank you." Meher said with a small smile.

"It's alright." She replied looking at her feet. "I'm sorry for behaving the way I did. I realise that it's not your fault and I shouldn't have-."

"Gul, it's okay." Meher said interrupting her and smiled at her dearly.

"Aapko Hooriya Bibi chai ke liye bula rahi hai." Gulnaz informed Meher before taking her leave.
(You have been called down for tea.)

Meher quickly closed her books and collected her pens scattered on her desk. She stacked her books and got up and got out of the library marching down for the sinful tea.

"Look at you. Been cooped up all day in the library, I knew calling you for tea would do the trick." Hooriya laughed as she poured a cup for Meher and handed it to her.

"I've been trying to catch up." Meher replied happily taking the tea from Hooriya and sat down on her chair enjoying the cool breeze of Lahore which carried a floral scent.

"Good." Hooriya sipped her tea. "I was planning to make butter chicken and naan today, Arham loves it." She said. "What do you like I'll make that too."

"Potato curry ?" Meher said more like a question.

"Potato curry ?" Hoor repeated and laughed. This girl wasn't just simple but her choices and wants too were.
"Then potato curry it is." Hoor smiled at Meher.

"Hoor baji aapki Ammi, I mean phupho kaha hai ?" Meher asked out if curiosity. (Where does your mother live? I mean aunty.)

"Ammi aur baba have settled in California. They say the sun is better and the air a little lighter." Hooriya laughed.

"Oh that's nice. Apke siblings ?" (Your siblings.)

"I'm the only child." She replied.

"Arham bhi ?"

"Yes Arham too is an only child."

"Yusuf told me today on the breakfast table that Arham and him have been childhood friends." Meher said trying to fish out more information about her husband.

"Yes, Arham was sent to boarding school in Manchester where he met Yusuf. Both have been inseparable since. Brothers truly." Hooriya chuckled thinking about the silly goofs that the two were.

"Arham would come home for summer vacations and that's when we would play in this very house. Mamu jaan use to say that this house only came alive in the summers." She said.
"And Mami jaan and Ammi would make..ouch." Hooriya stopped clutching the left side of her stomach. She took in a deep breath and looked at Meher who looked alarmed seeing the pained expressing dotted on Hooriya's face.

"Relax it's..it's noth.. ahh." Hooriya shut her eyes trying to control the pain, she had been experiencing bouts of pain since the past week but nothing of this magnitude.

"Hooriya baaji are you okay ?" Meher said getting up from her chair and kneeled down next to Hooriya.

"I'm fine." Hooriya said giving Meher a forced smile but her pain was quite evident.