21.

Meher was in the kitchen since 7 am.

The two reasons behind them being, one - she had invited Yusuf over and two- she wanted to thank Arham for having faith in her, even though it was a small task, it was her first step towards achieving her dream.

Meher poured a cup of chai for herself as she stood by the stove and fried parathas.

Sipping the heavenly drink she closed her eyes and savoured the taste.

"Meher Bibi you've prepared the entire meal this early ?" Gul said with surprise as she entered the kitchen.

"I have." Meher replied smiling widely. "Can you place these eggs and Arham's coffee on the table, he'll be down soon."

"Sure." Gul picked up the boiled eggs and the coffee jug and carried them outside.

"New beginning Meher, you can do this." She said motivating herself.
She finished her cup of tea and picked her phone placed on the ki ten counter to dial Yusuf's number.

"Meher bibi, Arham bhai is calling you outside." Gul said walking into the kitchen with an empty plate.

"Okay." Meher said.
She quickly typed a message for Yusuf and hit send.

'I think I'm going to be dying of hunger before I see your face. If you don't come in the next 20 minutes then.. then you'll face my wrath.'

She took in a deep breath and mustered her strength before walking out towards the dinner table.

Arham sat on the chair at the head of the table sipping his dark coffee, going through his emails.

"Good morning." Meher wished.

Arham looked at her and gave her a slight nod of acknowledgment.

"You had sent for me ?"

"I did. Come to the office today with the driver, get yourself introduced to the team and understand what the team wants from you."

"Okay. When do I come."

"Come by 11." He said and pushed his chair behind getting up from the table. "And nobody needs to know we know each other personally." He said before walking out of the dining room leaving Meher behind.

Meher pulled a chair and took a seat at the table pouring herself another cup of tea.

"Come by 11." She mimicked Arham. "And nobody needs to know, we know each other personally." She said in a gruff voice.

"She sounds more like you than you do, you know." The familiar voice made Meher smile. She sprung up from her chair and turned around only for the smile to drop.

With Yusuf stood the man Meher had tried to mimic and mock.

Meher's eyes travelled between the two men. She wanted to turn around and run, lock herself in a room and never face Arham again.

"Ahem."Arham cleared his throat. "I walked you inside, now I have to leave I have an 8 am meeting." He said and patted Yusuf shoulder.

He looked at Meher who squeezed her eyes shut to avoid meeting his eyes. A faint smile etched on his lips, Meher's childish innocence amazed him.

Giving Yusuf a Curt nod Arham walked out of the dining room. Yusuf looked at Meher standing with her eyes shut, he smiled at her and shook his head at her childishness.

"He left." Yusuf informed her.

Meher opened her right eye to confirm and on finding no one she opened both her eyes.