4.

ab ke ham bichhḌe to shāyad kabhī ḳhvāboñ meñ mileñ
jis tarah sūkhe hue phuul kitāboñ meñ mileñ
                  ~ Ahmad Faraz
•••

Meher was old enough to remember details of the riches she lived in before her father left them, but the palatial house she stood before made her old house seem like a poor man's hut.

The pristine white walls of the two story house, the gold dusted pillars, the windows reflecting sunlight, the majestic fountain sitting in front of the entrance or the perfectly trimmed lawn and beautiful garden, everything about this place screamed money.

"Ma'am I have your bag." The chauffeur said interrupting her thoughts.

"Ji. Thank you." She muttered. She didn't know where should she head from here, the man whom she understood to be her husband had left her all alone, not that his presence had provided her any comfort but he was the only person she knew.

"Should I carry them inside Ma'am ?" The driver asked hesitantly.

"I..I guess." She said shrugging her shoulder and followed the man into the house.

If the exterior of the house had her in awe the interior had her tongue tied. The house opened into a wide foyer which was lit by a gigantic chandelier. The sandstone marbles guided her further, to the left was a ball room size sitting room, with Victorian decor and to the left was wide winding stairs made of milky white marbled.

The driver had kept her bag down, and left silently

The driver had kept her bag down, and left silently. She looked around to find a sign of life but the house was just bathed in warmth of the light from the chandelier and cocooned in
silence.

Meher carefully walked straight ahead in a hope to find someone who would help her. Was the man, Arham, her husband the only who lived in this gigantic house ?

Her steps took her to another section of the mansion, it was the interior of the house, tall columns supported the two floors above, a grand piano sat on one side next to the small fountain embedded into the wall, a couple of silken sofas were scattered strategically around, the roof was made of translucent glass which gave the entire section of the house a warm yellow glow and the centre of the ceiling was adorned with a huge metallic golden chandelier.