Chapter 13: Return of the Howl

New Meridian, Poorman's Apartment
March 8th, 12:45pm

"Help Wanted: Wulfamania Returns! Get ready for the ultimate comeback of Canopy's greatest hero, Beowulf!" The Player reads aloud from the pamphlet he was holding while lazing about on the couch. "Funny, I thought Canopy's greatest hero would've been me. Y'know, since I'm the 'chosen one' and all."

"Kiss your own ass much?" Samson remarked as Filia was cleaning the kitchen window counter.

"What? No. I mean, I don't think so. But I AM 'the Player,' right?"

"The fact that we still don't know your real name pisses me off. What kind of dipshit goes around using a codename like that? And enough of that 'chosen one' nonsense. You're no hero."

"You think 'Beowulf' is this guy's real name? He uses a codename and people love him. And don't discredit me! I've saved people before."

"Who? Filia? You saved Filia out of guilt when we first met, not from the kindness in your heart." Samson flatly debunked the Player's heroism and caught him off guard making the Player silent for a moment.

After dwelling on it for a second the Player sat upright on the couch. "That's not true!" He exclaimed defensively. "I didn't mean to leave you guys the way I did. It was that mutant nun! Who wouldn't run from a shapeshifting monster that turns itself inside out from the mouth?!"

"Filia. And she's only 15."

"16, Samson." Filia flatly corrected her Parasite. "And I'll be 17 next week! Yay!" She giggles.

Squigly brought her hands together and smiles gleefully after hearing the news. "Really? That's great, Filia! Wow. I can't believe I forgot to ask when your birthday was."

"Speaking of forgetting, how do you remember your birthday?" The Player asked, looking lost. "I thought you lost your memory."

"I did lose my memory. I just kinda remember certain things."

"...Like what?"

"Uuuuh. Oh! My mom."

This news brought great confusion, the Player just sat there in numb disbelief, made worse by the way she was being so casual about it.

"...How in the-? You had memories of- How long have you-?" He couldn't even form a question, it was like his brain was table flipping cohesive thoughts. There was so much going on in his head that he gave up trying to make sense of it. "...Filia, sweetie, that's not how amnesia works. And why did you keep that from me for so long?!"

"I'm...sorry? I didn't think it mattered, we had that whole 'the past doesn't matter' moment and all."

"You should've told me regardless! That's crucial information!" The Player squints his eyes, now focusing on Samson. "...Samson, did you know?"

"Know what?" Samson asked in an irksome tone.

"About Filia's memory of her mom?"

"No. Why would I? We don't share memories."

Leviathan shared the Player's skepticism and gestures a similar squint of disbelief. "Why am I not convinced you're telling the truth?" Leviathan joined, siding with the Player.

"Now you're getting in on this? Piss off, Leviathan."

"Look!" Filia raised her voice to get attention on herself. "It doesn't matter. I don't even remember anything outside of a vague image of what she looks like."

"Yeah? What did she look like?" The Player asked.

"Kind of like me, I guess."

"That's not helpful." Samson rebuttals.