Sidetracked Chapter 15: Back on Track

Poorman Apartments
May 9th, 8:50am

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Filia asked the Player as they stood at the front door.

"Filia, I'll be fine. I'm going to be home all day. There's no need to worry," he chuckled at her overprotectiveness.

"I just want to make sure. Do you want anything while I'm out? Anything at all?"

"Nah. Not that I can think of."

"How's your body? You aren't still sore are you? I can take off."

"For Pete's sake, Filia. He said he's fine," Samson rolled his eyes with an exasperated look.

"I know, Samson! I'm just...making sure."

"You've been 'making sure' all morning."

Filia softly groans and pouts before looking at the Player. "Okay, you've got the shop's number. Just call me if you need anything, okay? Anything."

"I will," the Player smiled while being somewhat flat on his delivery.

"Water, juice, chips. Advice, anyt-"

"You're going to miss the bus!" Samson outbursts while grabbing Filia's face to pull her cheeks.

"Eeek! Okay, okay! I'm going!"

Samson released Filia and she rubs her face once freed.

The Player shook his head at the two, amused it wasn't him and Samson having morning conflict.

Filia wasn't going to leave without her morning hug and she wastes no time walking into the Player and bringing him into a loving embrace.

Her face was more affectionate than usual, showing immense relief and joy knowing he was home and safe.

"Ooo!" The Player flinched from the tight hold.

Filia immediately backed away after hearing him. "S-Sorry! I shouldn't have-"

"It's okay. It didn't hurt too bad, I'm still a little sore. Nothing major."

"Still, I should've been more careful. Guess we won't be able to hug it out before work until you fully heal."

"We can, you just gotta be careful how you go about it."

"It's not the same if we can't properly express it like normal! It won't feel as genuine," she crossed her arms looking displeased.

"We'll find a compromise, but for now, you should get going," the Player walks by and opened the door for her. "I don't want you to be late, Ms. Breadwinner."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm going," Filia walks by and steps out into the hallway. "Thanks."

"Have a good day."

She stopped before she could start making her way to the elevator and stands at the door with her back turned to the Player.

"Something wrong?"

Filia took a moment to think and it didn't take long, she peeks over her shoulder, back at him with a wondering gaze much to his confusion.

"What's the hold up?" Samson impatiently inquired.

"One sec, Samson," Filia casually replied.

Before the Player could question her, Filia hurries over to him, closing the small gap between them, and stands on the tip of her toes to reach his face.

Surprised, the Player's eyes slightly widen when he felt Filia peck his cheek.

She lingers long enough to make what was happening clear as day for him, and she breaks with a loving smooch. Once it was done she lowered herself and looks up to him with rosy cheeks.