Sidetracked Chapter 19: New Dawn

Following the chaotic aftermath of the battle against the Fallen Angels, New Meridian was blessed with a night of peace, though rest fell short for the Black Egrets who worked tirelessly to ensure the citizens were safe.

Crystal Square was setting up to undergo major reconstruction and further investigation on the new threat that turned the district on its head.

All of the fighters who partook in the battle got to enjoy the peace they fought for - Parasoul and her squad returned to Canopolis and the universe trotting warriors found a home with the Player, Filia, and Squigly.

Poorman Apartments
6:05am

The player lay in wake, staring at the ceiling with a deadpan look on his face.

He had to sit through the combined snoring of his bunkmates, Gwen, Ryūko, and Ruby, which made getting a full night's sleep impossible.

'Oooooh my god. What are the freakin' odds that they all snore?! People are always going on about the dream of having a house full of women. It's every man's dream, right? Wrong! Oh, so wrong.'

Ruby turned over on her back, scratching her stomach from underneath her night shirt, "CreScEnT roSe! GIVe mE... StRenGth... Nnnggggheheh," she smiled with a trail on drool running down her cheek.

Hearing her, the Player rolled his eyes, 'Great. Add a comical sleep talker on top of that.'

Amidst the snoring, there was a gentle rattle sauntering along the room before noticeable crunching could be heard shortly after.

The Player turned over and saw Butterscotch by his food bowl, eating away.

"They're keeping you up too, bud?"

Butterscotch raised his head from the bowl and briefly looked in the Player's direction, acknowledging him for a second before going back to eating.

The Player smiled at him before rolling back over to continue ceiling gazing. His expression became serious as he found himself lost in thought.

'...I wonder how Parasoul's doing. I'm happy I got to see her after we've been apart for so long, but I wish it wasn't under those circumstances. Maybe I should man up and give her a call to see how she's doing. I know Umbrella will be happy if we patched things up, and then we could all be friends again. But then again, if Parasoul finds out we've been letting Umbrella sneak down here to visit, that'll make things worse.'

The Player raised his hand and stared at his palm, remembering what he felt when he grabbed Parasoul the day she left.

'Our connection weakened that day. I still don't know what she meant when she said she wasn't her father, but...it seems there's more dirt on the Renoir name than just Nancy being the Skullgirl, and Parasoul is hurting because of it.'

The Player clutched his hand into a fist, thinking of all the things piling up and how there were no answers to any of it.

'I'm supposed to help them, right? I'm supposed to keep everyone from hurting, but it's starting to feel like "the player" is the cause of their pain. If I weren't here, would things be okay?'

Just then, he remembered Marie's words; "You are the key to solving our world's greatest mysteries. Anyone you give that power to will be able to do anything. You can break the cycle of pain so many of us are forced to burden."

He lowered his arm and exhaled.

'No. Stop thinking like that. You promised. Too many people are counting on you for you to doubt yourself... Like Parasoul. She needs you, and I have to do right by her, but...where do I start? As if all the Skullgirl drama wasn't enough now, she has giant monsters terrorizing her kingdom,' he sighed heavily and threw his arm over his eyes. 'What a mess.'