Chapter 18: Unfinished Business

WARNING(A/N): This is a first, but do to the nature of this chapter and what it contains I'm writing a content warning.

This is probably the darkest chapter in this story. It contains a few scenes of torture and violence that this story isn't otherwise known for, and while the scenes are few and far between I still want to address it.

For the sake of the reader's comfort I just wanted to put it out there before you proceed. You just never know how it'll mix with others, you know?

With that said, love you guys and thank you for your time!

...

Boardwalk
April 30th

Squigly and Umbrella were enjoying an exhilarating rush on the Kraken rollercoaster. The pier was filled with the screams of passengers aboard enjoying the intense twists and turns.

Meanwhile, Filia sat out of the fun and chose to wait by the carnival booths with Butterscotch and Hungern. She frequently checked her surroundings as if looking for something, but no matter where she turned whatever it was she was looking for wasn't around. Her expression grew lonesome.

After the ride ends Squigly and a woozy Umbrella return to Filia.

"OoOooOOOOOooooOoo- What a BLAST!" Umbrella threw her hands in the air only to lose her footing and fall flat on her face before jumping right back up.

"My legs won't stop shaking," Squigly chuckled uncontrollably.

"Filia, you've got to ride the Kraken. It's crazy!" Umbrella enthusiastically suggests.

"Oh? Uh, maybe later," Filia kindly declined with a contradictory troubled smile.

"Aaaw. Come on. You haven't really done anything with us outside the Ferris wheel and eating."

"I know, it's just...the Player hasn't shown up yet."

"Still? How curious," Squigly said.

"He's probably still using the bathroom," Umbrella casually shrugged.

"It be like that," Samson mumbled.

"...I don't know. I just have a strange feeling that something may wrong. I feel it...here," Filia placed her hand up to her chest, specifically over her heart.

"Aaaw. You miss your baby boy? That's so cute," Umbrella teased with a smirk.

Filia didn't really acknowledge Umbrella's comment, her face remaining consistent with her worries as she stares at the boardwalk entrance, waiting for the Player to eventually show.

"Brat, I swear on everything I love, we will throw hands if you continue to play these games." Samson, on the other hand, jumped at the soonest possible threat at the idea of instigating what he dreaded, he even spoke while in public.

"You mad, Samson?" Umbrella gave him a smug grin.

"Oooh, you're worse than he is."

"Heh! I'm gonna braid you, Samson!"

Umbella was developing a pseudo-rivalry relationship with Samson that would've gave his ongoing squabbles with the Player a run for its money.

But while they were goofing off, Squigly approached Filia as the collected adult. "If you're worried, you should go check on him," she said. "If you really feel it in your heart that something may wrong then it's probably in your best interest to follow it. I'll watch Umbrella and Butterscotch. It won't be a problem. We'll be here when you get back."

Filia didn't need to debate with Squigly on this, she hands the leash to Squigly and smiled. "Thanks, I'll be back," she walks down the boardwalk and departs.