Class Notes #4: Key Memories

Skullgirls Repose
May 17th, 4:23pm

Marie sat at the table in the center of her room watching the Player as he went around doing basic cleaning tasks; dusting, sweeping, mopping, and so on.

After a while he put the finishing touches on his work by wiping off the cutlery cabinet.

"Aaaaand... Done!" The Player took a step back from the cabinet and nods in satisfaction. He turned to Marie for her evaluation.

"Not bad. You did fairly well."

"Fair... Fairly well? What? I was going above and beyond on the cleaning, how was that fairly well?"

"Well, the order needs work. You swept first and then dusted. What was the need to sweep first if you were going to put dust on the floor? You forgot to dust mop and apply dust mop treatment. Dust mopping is one of the most important components of floor care. It's done before periodic processes like top scrubbing or stripping."

As Marie went on with her review of his work, the Player's expression of faith in his cleaning slowly degrades.

Marie crouched down to the floor and slid her finger across the hard floor, showing him the dust he just wiped off the cabinet. "See? What I like to do is use a dust mop that has been pre-sprayed with dust mop treatment 24 hours before use. It helps the dirt stick to the mop and prevents from becoming airborne."

"...R-Right."

"Also, I was sitting here for the entirety of your cleaning process. You didn't move any furniture or mats, so you've left a good portion of the work undone."

"Holy- Jeez, Marie. You're on it, huh? Goodness," the Player chuckled, astonished how in-depth Marie was on her observation. "You got it. There's no wonder you're a pro. I guess there was a reason my old boss never me on cleaning duty when I was working at Beef Royalty."

Marie smiled as the Player came over to sit with her at the table. He sat back in the chair and exhales, returning the smile.

"Don't feel bad. Like I said, you did okay, not terrible. You Just need a bit more work and technique."

"Yes, sensei."

Marie's smile turned to a smirk as she giggled softly. "How have you been? Has your body made a full recovery?"

"I've been good, and yeah. My body is back to its old self again. No pain. A few dreams here and there, but nothing I can't handle at this point. They're few and far between so I'm getting a good amount of sleep."

"Good. I'm happy to hear it."

"How about yourself?"

"I'm fine. Doing better now that you're back."

"...Aaaaw! Marie!"

"Yes?"

"That was so sweet!"

"Was it? I'm just being honest. It was lonely. Having a friend around to talk to and see is just...great. For the first time in a while, I'm...doing fine."

The Player crossed his arms and sighs in disbelief, still holding a wide smile.

"Is something wrong?" Marie asked.

"Not at all. Just taking it all in. I'm friends with a demigoddess. I cannot fathom the hype."

The Player was strange, but she didn't want it any other way. Knowing that she made him happy, even as a Skullgirl, apparently having a demigoddess as a friend was appealing, put butterflies in her stomach.

His carefree nature reminded Marie so much of her old friend.

"How are your other friends?"

"They're good. Filia's still the primary breadwinner, so there's that. Sienna is still home since she can't be out and about as much otherwise people will catch on, but every now and then we do go out and enjoy the day together. I know these answers are really simple and don't make for interesting conversation, but so far everything has been simple and sweet."