Sidetracked Chapter 12: Science and Madness

The echoing steps of boots against a metal floor fill the dark environment as though someone was walking down a long, empty corridor

"...Why? How?"

...

[Chapter 17: New Beginnings]

New Meridian
April 23rd

The Player and Umbrella were knocked into a parked car by Carol under Brain Drain's control. The fight was being shown from Carol's perspective on the large monitor in Brain Drain's lab -- Umbrella stands between Carol and the Player to protect her friend, holding Hungern at the ready to fight.

"Child's play," Brain said with a chuckle. "Knock them both out and bring them to the lab. You've established your dominance so they should know this battle is unwinnable."

Carol takes a few steps but stops before she could get any closer.

Brain Drain noticed Carol's resistance and enhanced the strength of his psychic link against Carol, causing a severe splitting headache.

"What are you doing?" Brain Drain questioned.

"GAAAHHHHHHRRRRRR!!!" Carol roars furiously over Brain Drain's continued attempt to seize her body.

Brain Drain's shadow manifests and spooks the civilians.

Shadow Projection: "Why are you still resisting direct control?"

"Come on angry lady! Don't let that shadowy jerk control you!" Umbrella encouraged.

A blue spark flashes around Carol and she started gaining even greater control over herself. The readings on Brain Drain's computer were going haywire.

"W-What is this interference? Resonance between their Skullgirl blood?" Brain Drain questioned while typing frantically on the keyboard.

Another blue flash appeared, this time surging around Umbrella. The princess felt a warm sensation in her chest and power bubbling up inside of her, she felt energized and full of life -- like she could do anything. At the center of this drastic power increase she felt the Player's presence.

"Whoa... What is this feeling?" Umbrella wondered.

Brain Drain's eyes widen at the sudden spike in energy.

A large CAUTION sign was on display over a diagram of Carol's body on his monitor. The numbers for their unique resonance skyrockets and astonishes the mad scientist.

"It's breaking the link! PAINWHEEL OBEY!" Brain Drain commands in dire urgency.

The Player gives a soft smirk and watches as things were beginning to come together for them.

Brain Drain types in a rapid pace and scans Umbrella to try making sense of this phenomenon. Because she had Skullgirl blood he was able to pull up her biometrics alongside Carol's.

"...What?!"

To his shock Umbrella's calculations were on an exponential rise, contradicting the basic statistics he pulled earlier.

"How? How is this possible?! What is happening?!" Brain continued typing.

UNKNOWN LINK ESTABLISHED -- the monitor displayed this information over Umbrella's diagram which indicated her power was coming from an assisting source -- CRITICAL ERROR --CRITICAL ERROR -- CRITICAL ERROR