Chapter 4: Awakening

A hazy vision of calm reveals a time of peace, showing what appears to be an aristocratic party in progress though the location of this particular event is unknown. This scene briefly shines light on the more glamorous, sophisticated side of the Canopy Kingdom. Among the partygoers was a peculiar woman with pointed ears, she was seen carrying a small box as she made her way around the guests.

"You should open this one soon." The strange woman spoke in a familiar dual voice as she is then seen handing the box over to another woman. It appears the box was intended to be a gift.

The scene slowly fades to black before revealing another vision. This time a group of women are shown entering the party, heavily armed while the masked leader lead the charge with a glass of champagne in hand, her right forearm consisted of a large shotgun like weapon.

"Happy birthday, Selene." The armed woman took a sip of the champagne and pointed her gun out to an unknown target. "Time to blow out your candles."

Before she fired the gruesome sight of manslaughter is cut to black, only the sound of gunshots, screams and glass shattering were heard until finally it stopped...

It isn't long before we see the woman holding a defenseless and horrified girl at gunpoint, raising her head by grasping one of her pigtails, the gun's barrel aimed directly at the crying youths head.

"Don't forget to make a wish!"

The woman's last act of cruelty is cut, red, white and black flashed as the sound of the gun is fired. It goes silent for a brief moment.

"Please...give me back my family." The voice of a new woman pleaded from the darkness. "Roberto...Squigly...save them all!"

Among the darkness a quick vision of the Skull Heart flashes before showing an army of undead and the sight of a Skullgirl much older than Marie. Among the undead army was a man with a hole in his shoulder, he was still alive so he wasn't zombie, or at least no yet.

"Don't let anyone touch her, you understand...? Stop anybody who gets close – even me!" He spoke on his dying breath as a long trail of blood lead from his shoulder and away from the chaos.

Darkness covers everything once more.

'Not...what I...' A voice spoke out from the darkness. Just then a light sparked amidst the abyss, giving light to the surrounding darkness. 'Save them...Don't let it fall!'

Just then, from the light, a serpentine creature drenched in blood devours the vision, once again having darkness be only source of sight.

"Squigly!" A masculine voice called out.

The voice instantly caused the awakening of a young woman, she opened her only visible eye. "Mmf...?" She replied with a hint of drowsiness in her voice. A long white serpentine creature watched as she awakened. Before she could even pay it any heed the coffin she was put to rest in broke open, she then found herself falling out of the sky.

"AAAAAAH!" She cried out while plummeting out of the sky, landing on her rear only to have her fall cushioned by a male figure. "Ow..." She moaned softly while rubbing her backside.

"Thank goodness...you have awoken." The serpentine creature in her head sighed in relief while looking at her.

The girl wiped her eyes with her long red and white sleeve and faced the creature. "Le...viathan...?" She questioned, now revealing the creatures name, "You really did stay with me." A smile formed on her face, though interesting enough her mouth was stitched shut. She was talking via telepathy.

"Naturally." He replied with a similar expression. "Though the heart of our conflict has lingered as well."

The duo then turned their attention to the elephant in the room. Before them was the current Skullgirl, Marie and her undead army. She was holding up the upper half of Medici Tower which was proving to a challenge due to her size, luckily she was beginning to receive help from her skeletal army.