Sidetracked Chapter 16: Routine Checkup

The Player groans while awakening to the sound of classical music playing in the background. His vision initial blurs and he sees his arms dangling over the floor with a trail of blood running down his arm.

He found himself hung upside with his feet tied together by rope and hung on a slaughtering line.

"...What? What the hell?" He weakly spoke while trying to piece together what was going on.

"...Pl...a...yer?" A familiar voice called out to him from the side, much weaker than his.

The Player looked over and sees Filia, Squigly, Umbrella, and Parasoul tied up by their feet as well. Before he could question it he looked to the opposite side and sees Beowulf, Valentine, Annie, and Feng in the same predicament. They were all strung up like livestock waiting to be slaughtered.

"Wait... What? Everyone. What's...going on?"

The sound of heels clicking against the metal floor could be heard from afar and before long Double walks into the room with a meat cleaver while humming an ominously slow tune.

Seeing her approach, the Player closed his eyes and pretends to be unconscious.

Double's humming drew nearer and her heels stop just in front of him.

Everything goes quiet but his vision was still black from his closed eyes. Double's heels walk down the assembly line of host and the humming continues.

The blade of her meat cleaver could be heard cutting the air followed by the wet squelch of pierced flesh.

'...What?'

He could hear the meat cleaver being forcibly pried from body of an animal before being swung back into it.

"Uuuuuggghhhh...."

There was a dreadfully weak yet painfully anguished groan from the second strike, making it clear that whatever was being skewered wasn't an animal.

'What the hell is going on?!'

A third sickening squelch and then a forth, the moaning became labored before a nasty crunch sounds off. The groaning was silenced and all that was heard was the sound of fluids dripping on the floor.

The Player slowly opened his eyes but then widen in horror as he watched Double dragged Filia's upper torso down the hall.

His expression was pure terror and shock, he was paralyzed in fear and sorrow seeing Filia's face frozen with her eyes wide and her face emoting hollow numbness -- there was no life in her eyes as entrails and intestines leave behind a blood trail into a dark room.

Double's humming echoes through the slaughterhouse and the sound of butchering from the room could be heard.

Filia: Help me...

Her words ring in the Player's mind.

Filia: Save me...

The Player's breathing picked up to unstable panic.

Filia: You're the only one who can...

He breaks out into a hyperventilating episode and he hears his heart in his ears.

"Save us," everyone else said in unison. "You're the only one who can stop the pain. Save us."

His heartbeat was racing at a critical level and he breaks out into an uncontrollable sweat as his friends chant for him to save them from this terrifying scenario.

The Player closed his eyes but then the chanting stopped. Dead silence.

When he opened his eyes and looked around there was nobody there but him still hanging upside down. He checked his left and the right, but when he looked forward he sees Double sprinting out of the dark room toward him with eyes aglow and grabbing his head to pull him close to her.