Chapter 19: Being Human

Valentine's House
May 17th, 3:30pm

It was nearing 4pm, the scheduled time for the Player and Valentine to meetup so they could make reservations at the restaurant Valentine booked for them.

They agreed on 'Date Casual' for a dress code, Valentine kept it simple; a solid choker neck sweater, black distressed fitted jeans, and lace-up leather boots.

She wore her hair down but kept the peek-a-bang to hide her damaged eye.

After applying a touch of lipstick, the only cosmetic she could tolerate, Valentine gave herself a look in the mirror.

She gently ran her index and middle finger down the side of mouth, where her scar was, and contemplates a mask.

"Whatever," she ignored it and put the lipstick in her handbag. "Okay, everything should be fine now. If he walks out on me again I'm going to put him in a body bag."

Valentine snickered at her own dark humor and straightened out her sweater one last time.

Distant Voice: Better to be in a body bag than being with you.

Valentine froze and slowly veered her eye to her reflection in the mirror. She stares at herself as if waiting for something to happen, or at the very least she was analyzing herself.

She shook her head and turned around, taking the first step to the bathroom door.

Distant Voice: You want to ruin his life like you ruined Painwheel's?

Valentine stopped in her tracks as the voice spoke again.

Distant Voice: Be honest with yourself, you really think anyone wants to be around you?

Valentine lowered her head and her eye sharpens.

Distant Voice: This little reality you made for yourself, having a friend. It's not real.

"Shut up," Valentine closed her eye in increasing frustration.

Distant Voice: Beneath all the stern and vigor is a broken woman who can't even bother to look herself in the mirror and see the forest for the trees.

She grits her teeth.

Distant Voice: This isn't care, Valarie. It's pity. He pities you. He pities that you almost took your own-

"I SAID SHUT UP!" Valentine turned and punched the mirror with a vicious snarl.

She broke the mirror and had it various reflections of Valentine in each crack. Some even appeared as though she was smiling spitefully despite her snarl.

Distant Voice: Good. Now we don't have to look at ourselves. Too bad for him though.

Valentine's baleful gaze slowly falls to passive and she closed her eye. When she pulled her fist back to her side she sighed.

Red droplets hit the floor by her boots as she stood there.

...

Poorman Apartments
Around that same time

After taking a shower and getting dressed, the Player heads downstairs to see Squigly before leaving. He made a quick stop in the kitchen to get a drink of water from the fridge and relocates in the front room where Squigly was watching TV.

"All right, Sienna. I'm heading out."

"Okay," she turned from the TV to get a good look at the Player. "Oh, look at you."