Chapter 1

Jesus fucking Christ

Jesus fucking Christ. I hate fucking paparazzi. A bunch of fucking vultures that can't keep to themselves and have to get involved in my goddamn fucking business as their life isn't interesting enough. They can go fuck themselves.

I guess this is the life I get for being the CEO of a big ass company in New York. My dad, Carlos Reid, just recently retired and I've taken up the role. The paparazzi are having a bloody field day with that. I can't catch a break. They never leave me alone. Like literally never. I don't even have a fucking private life anymore. They're everywhere.

I put my head down as I entered a small little coffee shop in a street I don't know. If I didn't know it, then I'm sure the paparazzi sure didn't either. The brief smell of coffee and a sweet scent of vanilla wafted against my face. I inhaled it more and sighed. Finally, something different than the smell of paper and ink.

I slowly shook my coat off my body and placed it in my arms. I straightened my back again and put a cold stoic face on. I walked further into the shop as the warmth spread across my face because of the change of temperature in here compared to outside. I walked up to the counter.

Silence surrounded me just the way I liked it. Ahh silence. A man was behind the cash machine scrolling through his phone. His head was on his hand and he had a bored look on his face. The sound of my footsteps against the floor made him look up for a brief moment. He looked back down and then I saw his eyes widened. He looked back up at me with a gaping mouth. I rolled my eyes and lifted my eyebrow up. The same bloody reaction. He acts as if he just saw the president or something.

He straightened up and placed his phone down.
"H-Hello sir. What can I get you today?"

I looked at him and I could see a look of fear flash through his eyes.
"Black coffee."
My voice was sharp and clipped and I didn't bother saying anymore than I needed. No reason to strain my voice when it's not needed.

He swallowed a large lump down in his throat and nodded. I handed him my card and he shakingly took it. I stopped myself from rolling my eyes once again because of his nervousness. Some guys need to get some balls. I can't be that intimidating.

He handed me my card back with a receipt. I stuffed the receipt in my pocket and then looked at him. He looked down at the counter nervously.
"T-Take a seat sir and we'll bring your drink to you w-when done."

I nodded my head and turned around. My eyes scanned the coffee shop trying to find a decent seat and they stopped on a certain corner. A girl sat there. She had soft silky brown hair that's shone in the light. A pair of circular glasses were perched on her small button nose which had freckles scattered across it like stars in the night sky. Her eyes were intently trained on a laptop in front her while she nervously bit her lip.