Chapter 41

I watched as the sun rose from the window next to my bed

I watched as the sun rose from the window next to my bed. How long has it been since I've felt the comforts of a bed?

My back wasn't used to this feeling. I was used to hard metal or wooden chairs and floors. It was quite a change to say the least.

It smelt different too. No longer could I smell blood and rotting corpses: I now smelt medicine and fresh air.

Jake lay in the bed next to me and I was glad to see him so relaxed and peaceful. Since this all started, he's been so worried and ,even if he wouldn't admit it himself, scared.

I couldn't blame him either. I wasn't just scared, I was absolutely petrified.

Not only just for me but for him but thankfully we're okay now.

We're safe. And that's all to him. I'm thankful for Jake.

The door clicked open but I stayed staring at the window as sunlight shone upon my body.

It's like the beginning of a new beginning. The sun blessing you. I don't deserve the sun's blessing but I can still hope.

"Adalyn."
I closed my eyes hearing his voice and tightened my grip on the blanket. Well I thought I did.

He's probably so mad at me right. I wouldn't stop him if he shouted or said that he no longer had any sort of attraction to me because I deserved that too.

I was an awful girlfriend.

A single tear rolled down my cheek and I took in a deep breath. My heart monitor began to go faster as well.

"Axel. Don't."
I turned to my side to see Jake pushing himself up by his elbow and looking over at me worriedly.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and turned back to the window but the sunrise had finished by now so I just enjoyed seeing something different from darkness and trees.

Something beautiful.

*****
I had had many doctors tell me my situation. About how I had to have surgery to fix my wrists and how I would never have real fingers again.

Each realisation that dawned on me was more painful than the last.

I hadn't seen my wrists yet but knew they looked horrible. When everyone had gone to sleep including Jake, I would just stare at myself and cry.

How was anyone supposed to love me now? How was Axel supposed to love me now?

I was missing two fingers. I had scars on my body. A large burn mark on my back from branding.

No one would love someone that looked like this. But it's not like I deserve love now anyway so I understand why they wouldn't.

"Adalyn. Are you alright?"
I looked over at Jake and nodded.