viii. snowflake promises

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ─── snowflake promises

Flatbush Ave., 25th December 2006

, 25th December 2006

"𝔐erry Christmas!" Arabella beamed up at Luke, who was drying his hair from the quick shower that he had taken. He grinned over at her, before slumping down to her left, admiring the presents under the tree. "Presents first, you think?"

"Absolutely," He replied, as Arabella began to sort through the presents, handing Luke his and grabbing her own. "You first."

"No, you!" He looked like he was about to protest, but Arabella cut him off. "You're the guest, it's only polite."

Luke relented, before opening the largest one first. A smile grew on his face at the sight of the books in it. Flicking through them, his grin widened as he looked at all of them. The entire Harry Potter series were in there, a long with a few books called A Series of Unfortunate Events, one called The Book Thief and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. His heart warmed at the sight of all of the books, things that he could truly call his own, with no bad memories attached.

"Thanks, Ellie!" She beamed at him, as he placed the books back into the box. He grabbed the next one, and smiled at the fact that the box was full of snacks and treats for him to try. Grinning, he reached out and pulled the smaller girl into a tight hug, trying to ignore the way his heart raced and his cheeks grew flushed. "They're the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten."

"I wanted them to be special."

"They really are." Luke muttered, taking a deep breath, before reminding himself that he was supposed to be keeping things friendly. "Now, your turn."

Arabella grinned, before ripping over the package on the first one and cheering. She yanked out the fluffy blanket, and immediately wrapped herself up underneath it, pulling it over her head until only her face was visible. Luke chuckled at the grin covering her face.

"I take it you like it?"

"I love it," She grinned, as she pulled the other two pairs of fluffy socks out from beneath it, sliding her feet into them and grinning. The next box was labelled 'movie nights' and filled with her favorite treats, and popcorn kernels. "Thanks, Luke, these are great."

"I'm glad." Luke admired her face, and the grin plastered over it, before reminding himself that this wasn't what friends do. "Harry Potter movie? I think we're on the Goblet of Fire."

"Yeah, that sounds good." Arabella tried to get a hold of herself as she watched Luke master the DVD player. He'd finally gotten the hang of it in the five months of knowing Arabella.

"I want some of that blanket." Luke muttered, as Arabella rolled her eyes.

"Get your own. This one's mine." She stuck her tongue out at him, as Luke raised an unamused eyebrow. All his carefully planned thoughts of staying friendly went out the window as he picked the girl up, pulling her onto his lap. "You're so annoying."