xlii. hurt

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨 ─── hurt

New York, 1st January 2009

[ tw : Suicidal thoughts and a lot of self hatred ]

"ℑ came as soon as you called." Hermes looked at Luke, worry in his eyes, as the man opened the door. "What happened? Is everything alright? Is anyone hurt?"

"Dad..." Hermes stopped, trailing off at his son's voice. "Do you think that you can just be a dad for the moment and not a god?"

"Luke, what happened?" Luke didn't answer, taking deep breaths as he seemed to try and keep everything together. "You can tell me anything, kid."

"I just really need my dad right now," Hermes watched a tear trail down Luke's face. "Please."

Reaching up, Hermes pulled his son into a hug as the boy practically collapsed against his chest, clinging onto him tightly. 

"He was here and he...he picked Alex up and..." Luke tried to stammer out, as Hermes took note of the hand print bruise that was growing darker, spreading around the boy's neck. Something had happened.

"Okay, okay, let it all out," Hermes closed the door, still holding onto Luke tightly. He knew under normal circumstances, Luke would be sitting as far away as possible with a glare on his face, so that fact that he was crying and hugging him made Hermes wonder just how bad the situation was. "You don't need to say anything now."

"I...I..." Hermes shook his head, as Luke drooped tiredly. It took mere moments for Luke to fall into a fitful sleep. Hermes placed the boy onto the couch, wincing at how tired and worn out Luke looked, before heading up the stairs to see where the others were and what had happened with Alex. 

Ethan and Alabaster's rooms were closed, and Hermes didn't go in to check, not wanting to invade their privacy, but the nursery door was open and Hermes could see Ellie sitting in the chair, staring at the wall.

"Hey, Ellie," She shot up, turning to face him with worried eyes as she put herself between him and the cribs. "Luke called, asked me to come round."

"He did, did he?" Hermes nodded, as Ellie sat down once more, looking stressed. "Where is he?"

"Passed out on the couch," She hummed, looking torn between going to Luke's side and staying with the babies. "Do you want me to stay here with them whilst you go to him?"

"I..." She paused, cracking all of the knuckles in her fingers.

"Go to Luke. The babies will come to no harm whilst I watch over them and I think my son needs you more."

"I can't leave them alone," Ellie replied, her voice quiet and tired. "That man came."

"Who?"

"The one with the golden eyes," Hermes froze at the description. Kronos had come back to the house? "He picked Alex up, said it was something to do with keeping Luke and the boys in line and that we best not be a distraction to them."