xxxiv. family dinners

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 ─── family dinners

New York, 30th September 2008

"𝔗hanks, Eth." Ellie called. "You're the best."

Ethan chuckled, sliding the remainder of the onions into the pan, as Ellie sank into a chair, rubbing her ever growing bump.

"I'm so excited for food."

"Hopefully, it will be as good as Luke claims it is," Ethan stirred the onions, wiping away the tears that were forming in his eyes from them. "He always use to come back in a really good mood sometimes and I'd ask him why and he'd say your pasta."

"I'm just excited that someone else is cooking." Ethan grinned once more, before turning to look at her with narrowed eyes.

"Did you know about Alabaster's friend?"

"Yeah." Ellie rolled her eyes. "Course I did. He does tell me a lot of things about school and all that."

"Just never thought Alabaster could make friends or female friends at that." Ellie rolled her eyes, shooting the man a withering glare. "Sorry, sorry."

"It's sweet that he's bringing her around for dinner." Ellie pointed out, before perking up as the doorbell rang. "I'll get it."

Ethan looked like he was going to protest but thought better of it, allowing Ellie to shuffle over to the front door and open it with a grin on her face. Alabaster shot her a look, reminding her to be sane, before pressing a kiss to her cheek in greeting.

"Ellie, this is Leah." Alabaster introduced his friend, who was standing behind the taller boy nervously.

"Uh, it's nice to meet you, Mrs Castellan," Ellie shrugged it off with a grin, holding her hand out to the auburn haired girl, who was rocking back and forth on her feet slightly.

"None of that, most people call me Bella, but any nickname you can make off of Arabella, I'll answer to." The girl sent her another nervous smile, as Ellie opened the door further and let them in. "Ethan's cooking, hopefully, so dinner, or takeout, should be ready soon."

"Burning things is your specialty, Bella!" Ellie sighed, looking up to the ceiling as she prayed for the strength not to slap Ethan into next week.

"Hit Ethan when you go past him." Technically, she wasn't overexerting herself if someone else was slapping Ethan for her.

"Gladly. Come on, Leah," Alabaster grinned, jogging into the house. It took a moment, before Ellie heard the tell tale sound of someone being hit, accompanied by Ethan's groan of pain.

"Bella!" Ethan yowled, as Ellie smiled. Revenge was sweet.

"Here, let me help you with this," Ellie grinned, as Leah brought some of the plates over and began to dry up.

"You are an angel, Leah." The girl shook her head, smiling bashfully at Ellie's words. "How's school going for you?"

"It's harder than I thought it would be, or some parts are." Ellie nodded, adjusting the temperature of the water so that it wasn't as scalding to either of their hands. "But it's a lot of fun. Alabaster and I get along well, which is good. Nice to have a friend in my classes."

"Well, I'm glad that he found someone to talk to," Ellie replied, before grinning. "The sulk that he was in when I enrolled him in school made me think that he wasn't going to try and make any friends out of spite."

"He was kind of determined not to," Leah giggled, drying her hands as Ellie drained the sink. "Everyone's really intrigued by him, it's kind of funny."

"Oh yeah, why's that?" Ellie asked, grabbing a tub of ice cream from the freezer and offering the spoon to the girl. She nodded, taking a scoop.

"He's mysterious and brooding, plus everyone has a crush on him I think," Ethan snorted as he walked into the kitchen, causing Ellie to twist and glare. Alabaster appeared in the kitchen and grabbed another spoon to eat the ice cream.

"What are you guys talking about?"

"All of your embarrassing moments from school," Ellie patted his knee a grin on her face, as he sent her a death glare, though it did little to intimidate the small nurse. "Did you know people have a crush on you?"

"So that's why everyone's been following me around," Alabaster's jaw dropped in understanding. "I thought they were just being annoying."

"You are so oblivious, kid," Ellie patted his head, as a knock sounded on the door. "Get that will you. That's probably Leah's parents."

"Of course," Alabaster hopped off of the counter, as Ellie handed Leah her bag back. "Leah, it's your dad!"

"Thank you for having me round, and cooking." Ethan saluted her over his shoulder, as Ellie followed her to the door.

"No problem, honey," Ellie grinned. "Any time you want to come over, please do. I need more girls in this house cause otherwise I'm stuck with these fools."

"Hi, you must be Alabaster's mum." Ellie grinned, shaking the man's hand, not even bothering to refute the statement.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Ellie." 

"Benji." He grinned at her, as Ellie rested a hand on her bump. "How far along are you?"

"7 and a half months now and twins as well." They both laughed, as Alabaster watched her with narrowed eyes, begging Ellie not to embarrass him. "Your daughter was an absolute pleasure to have around. She's welcome any time."

"I'm glad to hear," Benji wrapped an arm around his daughter's shoulders, as she blushed. "And Alabaster is welcome any time as well. Let us know if you need anything at all."

"You're too kind and absolutely. The favour is returned, let us know if you need anything," Ellie grinned, as another car pulled into the driveway and Luke appeared. "Oh, here's my husband now."

Luke got out of the car, wearing his typical combat boot, camouflage trousers and white shirt. Ellie wasn't sure whether his CEO job did need that uniform, but she wasn't complaining. He looked really good.

"Hi honey," Luke smiled, before turning around and extending his hand to Benji. "Hi, I'm Luke."

"Benji," They shook one another's hands. "We were just leaving."

"Good to meet you." Luke waved them off, before turning and looking back down at Ellie with a raised eyebrow. "What?"

"Jealousy suits you, Luke," His jaw dropped, as Alabaster disappeared inside. "He's married."

"I wasn't..." He sighed, before staring down at her with a raised eyebrow. "What am I going to do with you?"

"Well, kissing your wife hello would be the top thing to do," Ellie grinned, as Luke rolled his eyes and pulled her closer, pressing a long kiss to her lips as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Better?"

"Much, but I could always use a couple more kisses?"

"Food first, then kisses. Promise."

Hiya, 

All you need to know is that Ellie is Alabaster's mother, Ethan and Ellie are hilarious and Luke is just *chefs kiss* and Alabaster's friend has been introduced. 

Let me know what you guys think,

Love Li xx