xxviii. here we go again

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ─── here we go again

New York, 14th July 2008

"𝔒h my god, Ellie!" Britney's jaw dropped as they entered into her home. "This is amazing! Jesus, it's so beautiful!"

"Thank you, thank you!" Ellie rubbed her neck awkwardly, before smoothing out her yellow sun dress across the bump. "I'm so glad that you guys could all make it!"

"Hey, we had the same idea!" Beth wheeled herself in, showcasing her blue dress. "I thought, you know, Mamma Mia and a BBQ, why not get a nice sun dress out?"

"I wish I'd gone for that." Minji looked at her jeans and nice top, before shrugging. "Oh well, but I brought some food. All of us did, cause we felt guilty making you do cooking."

"Please, I haven't done much." Ellie sighed. "I've been kicked out of the kitchen. Luke's worried about me anywhere near a knife."

"I can't blame him." Emily winced. "There's a reason you're not a surgeon let's put it that way."

"Hey!" Luke appeared at that point, waving hello to everyone as they said their greetings and made their way further into the kitchen.

"Bella, the new house is stunning."

"How did you afford this?" Britney and the others looked around in awe as Ellie laughed and scratched the back of her neck, leaning onto the wall to take some of the pressure off her legs. God, why were babies heavy?

"Luke's handiwork." Ellie smiled, as Luke shook his head in protest. "Okay, the bathroom is there and the living room is back there. So, what would you like to drink?"

"Oh, are these your friends?" Ethan appeared, before grinning. "Hi, I'm Ethan."

"He doesn't live here." Luke joked at the man, who made to smack him before both disappeared out the door to man the BBQ. They were shortly followed by the very quiet figure of Alabaster.

"That's Alabaster. He's a little reserved." Ellie pointed out, as the girls all hummed and rattled off drink orders that Ellie got easily. Cai milled around, as the women all began to eat and drink from the variety of snacks that had been brought along. All the while, they talked about Minji's upcoming trip to Korea, Beth's new art job, Ellie's work and pregnancy, Britney moving in with her boyfriend and Emily's chaotic new boss, who was all types of weird.

The smell of the BBQ was tantalising, as they all got ready to sit and eat, laughing and chatting away. Luke grinned from outside, sipping on his beer with Ethan next to him, and grinning.

"What's going on in your head?" Ethan questioned, flipping a burger.

"If this is the mundane, white picket, All American life, I want this." Luke nodded. "It's such a nice change from always being on the run."